XV. Burning hot skin

My gun clicks against the hard mags inside of my vest, causing it to make a damn annoying sound. It's all I can focus on during the helicopter ride on our way to the new mission. I smack my palm against the side of my AR in frustration, my nervousness not making the situation any better.

"Ace.. Come here. Your helmet is a little loose," König's kind voice snaps me out of my trance.

He reaches out to the straps that run along the side of my face, his gloved hands grazing my skin as he works on tightening them.

He places his large hand on top of my helmet and tries to move it, but it is now fit snug.

"Better," he says with a satisfied look in his eyes, but his expression changes when he looks me in my eyes.

"Thanks," I say with an unintended sigh.

"What is it, sergeant? Is all okay?" He asks, his eyes now worried.

"Fine.. Just.. a lot on my mind, I guess. Don't worry about it."

"Ah.. Okay. I'm here to listen, if you ever need me, that is," he says.

"I know. Same goes for you," I force a smile.

"I know," he pats my thigh once near my knee, before reassuringly squeezing it.

I turn to look at Soap, who hasn't got his helmet on yet. He had looked like he ran through hell and back when we woke up this morning, though he had surely fixed himself up a bit at least. He did however forget to gel his hair back, and nobody had said anything about it.

A few strands from his outgrown mohawk hang loose in his face as he looks up at me, offering me a weak smile. He holds up a thumb, before turning it upside down and back up, asking me if I'm alright with the motion.

I nod at him with a content smile, not wanting him to worry or feel bad. His smile grows wider before he puts on his helmet, tightening the straps

~

The grass shakes in the wind while the helicopter lowers to the ground. My legs dangle off of the side as I'm sitting on the landing gear of the complex machinery.

König's strong grip from behind me holds me back so I don't fall forward, even though I'd be okay without it. He releases his grip on me as we get to a decent height and he offers a pat on my back. I jump off the helicopter before it lands with a thud, causing the grass to shake even more than it already was.

"Let's move," Price's voice echoes through everyone's comms.

"Good luck. Report back to me," Laswell's kind voice pulls me out of my tunnel vision.

Keegan runs out in front and I follow, unfortunately having been put on the same team as him and Ghost.

"It will be hectic, but I believe we can do it," Price had said during the briefing this morning. He had then turned to Ghost and told him he'd be with Keegan and me. A silence had followed, with a few glances back and forth between Keegan and myself.

Price had told us the supposed ins and outs of the base, hoping that the intel would be correct this time. We weren't sure if Kahdemi, the main guy we're after, would be there. Though Laswell had confirmation that today would be our best chance.

"Keep up, Ace," Keegan says through the comms as he's already up and running.

"I'm right behind you, sir," I reply, making a sprint for it.

We circle around the base after splitting up into groups. Price is with Gaz, Soap is with König, and I'm with Ghost and Keegan.

"2 armed guards. Take one, I'll take the other," Ghost says to Keegan as we reach a spot that looks out over the facility.