Chapter 36 unedited

A/N

First of all I wanted to thank DarknessLoveAndLight for the amazing cover that she did for my other book "GraceLess" perviously known as "Careful what you wish for."
Please show some love and support for that story like you are doing for Billionaire's ex wife.

Nikki POV

2 days after the shooting!

I held Jack's hand as after the nurse gave him another another painkiller. He was trying to be brave and not flinch when he moved but I could see beads of sweat forming in his forehead every time he strained himself. I still couldn't believe that he took a bullet for me. While I may had fallen out of love with him years ago now he was taking another spot in my heart. He would be forever a treasured friend on whom I could count. I just hoped that one day we could put everything behind and be great friends again like we were before we fell in love.

"Does it hurt a lot?" I asked him when he tried to get more comfortable. I fluffed his pillow and helped him get in a better position.

"I barely feel anything." His lips curved upwards in a smile but I could read past it.

"You are a fool, I still can't believe you would take a bullet for me. I owe you my life." I said giving his hand a gentle squeeze.

"I would gladly give my life for you Nikki. You should know that by now." He raised his hand and gently stroked my face with his fingertips.

"I don't think I deserve that." I said in a low voice. The moment of the shooting was still fresh in my mind. I was talking with a woman that knew my work when Jack pushed me away and as soon as I fell in the ground I heard the booming noise of the gunshot. For a second everything froze and I had no idea what happened until I saw Jack's unconscious body lying on the floor in the same spot I was a couple of seconds ago. I think I would have nightmares for a long time.

"You deserve that and much more. What you didn't deserve was the way I treated you all those years ago. I am really sorry Nikki. I hope you can forgive me."

"I already did Jack. Now you have to forgive yourself. You were manipulated by a mean woman and while you could have handled the situation differently I don't hate you. Who knows if you hadn't believed her then maybe she would have done other things to separate us. One of them could be murder, she could have killed me. So think like you have saved my life twice." I smiled at him. We were very unfortunate to have had her in our lives. She was like a volcano ready to erupt and destroy everything in its path.

"I think you are right about that. I need to stop thinking about how things could have been and start living and enjoying the things that we have. After all life is short, and I don't want to die regretting not living the present because I was caught up in the past."

"Don't remind me how short and fragile life can be. I am really glad you are now better Jack. If something would have happened to you because you tried to save me my conscience would not leave me alone for a minute."

"Getting shot trying to save your life was the best thing I have ever done in my life. Being a hero makes me really happy and it comes with its perks too."

"Of course, I have seen how the nurses look at you. Like you are the last breed of gentleman walking the face of the earth. Other than that I am sorry to say that I don't see any other perks."

"Who was talking about female admiration?" He said smugly but I could tell that he enjoyed their attention. "I am talking about perks like Percocet. Thanks to you now I know how it feels like to get high using prescription drugs. That was one of the things I can now cross out of my bucket list. Got to say I kind of understand why people like drugs so much." His lips curved upwards again in a teasing smile. Leave it to him to try to make jokes after being shot and loosing a lot of blood.