Chapter 24

In the wake of the blast's chaos, we quickly regained our bearings. Remarkably, none of us had sustained any injuries. The relief was palpable, but there was no time to dwell on our good fortune. The situation was rapidly evolving, and we had to adapt. Miller and I heaved against the large steel door with all our strength. The combined force of our efforts finally paid off as the door came crashing down with a resounding thud, sealing off the damaged hallway. The loud clang of metal echoed in the now still air, marking the end of our immediate struggle. My mind raced with the implications of Madi's self-evaporation to Bardo. She had taken a drastic step, one that left us grappling with a mix of worry and determination. Despite her absence, Raven was still with us, a crucial member of our team whose skills and resilience were invaluable.

As the dust from the explosion settled, a grim reality confronted us. The hallway we once knew was now blocked by a ten-foot high barrier of broken cement chunks. The destruction was a stark reminder of the violent forces we were up against. With a heavy heart and a sense of urgency, I turned to the others. "We can still get to Madi," I declared, refusing to let despair take hold. Our mission was far from over, and our resolve had to be unwavering. Reaching into my pocket, I pulled out a vial of pills. My hand shook slightly as I dumped one into my palm, the small pill a symbol of the lengths we were willing to go to save Madi and overcome the challenges before us.

Gaia's intervention came just in time, her hand firmly grasping my arm. "Kegan, we have to think this through," she urged, her eyes reflecting the gravity of our situation.

Octavia, her voice raspy with emotion, added her perspective. "Gaia's right," she said. "Only the second pill's for me. We're gonna need an inside man."

Her words made sense, and a new plan began to take shape in my mind. "Good," I responded, nodding in agreement as I offered her the vial. "Let's do it."

With a sense of resolve, we 'cheers-ed' the pills, a symbolic gesture of our united front. But as the seconds ticked by, nothing happened. A wave of confusion washed over us. "Cadogan disappeared right away. Why isn't this working?" I voiced the question that hung in the air.

Hope chimed in with a theory. "Maybe somebody has to be waiting in Bardo to pull you through," she suggested.

The realization that Hope might be right struck me with a mixture of frustration and clarity. Bill, the Shepherd, had his disciples waiting for him in Bardo. Sheidheda, now a pawn in their game, had been used strategically. And they were ruthless enough to threaten the lives of everyone in this bunker for Madi. The pieces were falling into place, each revelation fueling my resolve. A malicious chuckle escaped my lips, a sound more of bitterness than amusement. Driven by a mixture of anger and desperation, I stormed over to the daunting wall of cement that blocked our path. My hands grasped at the pieces of cement, ignoring the searing pain that shot through them. With each piece I ripped away, my frustration grew. The physical exertion was immense, but it paled in comparison to the emotional turmoil inside me. The cement was a physical barrier, but it also symbolized the obstacles that continually stood between us and Madi's safety.

Over and over again, I attacked the wall, each movement powered by a fierce determination. The pain in my hands was a mere distraction; my focus was singular - to break through, to find a way back to Madi. The others watched, some with expressions of concern, others with a dawning understanding of the desperation of our situation. My actions were more than just an attempt to breach a physical barrier; they were a manifestation of the inner struggle we were all facing. As I continued to tear at the cement, my breaths became labored, my muscles screamed in protest, but I didn't stop. We were so close, yet so far from our goal. The frustration of being thwarted at every turn was almost unbearable. The cement wall stood as a defiant adversary, but my resolve was unyielding. We had come too far to be stopped now. Madi was out there, depending on us, and I wasn't about to let her down. With each piece of cement that fell away, I felt a small sense of progress, a tiny victory in our larger battle. We would find a way to Madi, no matter the cost. Our determination was our strength, and I was ready to lead the charge.