Chapter 11

My voice cut through the howling wind as I called out, "Bellamy! Octavia! Echo!" But the only response was the echo of my own voice, muffled by the vast expanse of snow and ice.

Miller, shivering in the cold, cut in pragmatically. "Safe to say we're on the wrong planet."

Jordan, hugging his arms around himself for warmth, agreed. "If these people were picking a new home, it wouldn't be this frozen wasteland."

Cass, ever the one for dry humor even in the most dire situations, quipped, "I don't know, I think it's pretty cool." Her comment was met with a mix of groans and chuckles, a brief respite from the tension.

Raven, practical and focused, took charge. "Miller's right, we move on." She adjusted her helmet, studying the display. "The computer says the stone is near those rocks, about two kilometers in that direction. There's a cave entrance."

I was about to follow her lead when something in the snow caught my eye. "Wait a minute," I said, reaching out to stop her. Brushing away the snow, my heart skipped a beat. "It's a body."

Miller, peering over my shoulder, added with a hint of dread, "Have I mentioned I don't like it here?"

Raven, examining the scene, made a grim observation. "Ossuarium."

Confused, I looked up at her. "What?"

She elaborated, "The planet's primary use. It's essentially a graveyard."

As I uncovered more of the person, Raven spoke again, "I've seen that symbol before. It's on the star map. I bet this planet is where those who took our friends came from."

"Knife?" I asked, turning to Miller. He handed one over without hesitation, understanding the necessity.

"Thanks," I said, taking the knife to cut away the wrapping covering the face. The revealed features were unmistakably human.

Jordan let out a sigh of disappointment. "Bummer." As everyone turned to him, he shrugged, "What? Seeing an alien would've been awesome."

Handing the knife back to Miller, I stood up, resolved. "At least now we have a lead. Let's find that stone and bring our friends home."

We trudged through the relentless snow, our feet sinking deep with each step, the icy wind biting at any exposed skin. The cold seeped through our clothes, a constant reminder of the harshness of this world. After what felt like an eternity, but was just over a mile, the entrance to the cave loomed before us, a dark maw against the white expanse. As we approached, it became apparent there was a significant drop to reach the cave floor. The gap, at least six or seven feet, presented a new challenge.

Raven, ever the fearless leader, glanced back at us with a chuckle. "Don't be such wimps," she teased, her breath visible in the cold air. She peered into the depths of the cave. "Come on. The stone's 200 meters this way."

Without hesitation, Raven leaped down into the cave, her figure disappearing into the shadowy depths. I watched her descent, feeling a mixture of admiration and concern. "Where she goes, I go," I muttered under my breath, psyching myself up. Taking a deep breath, I followed suit, jumping down into the cave after her.

The drop was jarring but manageable. Landing with a thud, I quickly regained my balance and looked around. The cave was a stark contrast to the blinding whiteness outside — dim, echoing, and filled with strange shadows cast by the uneven walls. The others followed, each landing with varying degrees of grace. We gathered our bearings, then set out in the direction Raven had indicated, deeper into the cave's mysterious depths. The anomaly stone, and our hope of finding our friends, lay somewhere ahead in the darkness.