Chapter 20

My attention quickly shifted back to Bill, my gun still firmly aimed at him, as I called out to Raven. "Rave, fire it up. We need to get to our friends." I watched as she started inputting the familiar universal symbols into the machine.

Raven looked up, her fingers pausing over the controls. "Which planet? Where are they?"

Bill, seizing the moment, turned around with a smirk. "It's offline," he said with a hint of triumph. "Only I know the code."

Raven confirmed his claim, her frustration evident as she removed the helmet. "There's only one planet we can't access."

I fixed my gaze on Bill, the seriousness of my intent clear. "Enter the code, and you get to live." My words were unyielding, leaving no room for negotiation.

Seeing what I had just done to protect Gabriel, Bill seemed to understand that my threat was not an empty one. Reluctantly, he started dialing the symbols into the large brass spiral of the machine.

"There's your bridge. Go," Bill spat out, his disdain barely concealed.

I shook my head, unmoved by his resentment. "You're coming with us. Now move." My tone left no doubt about my determination to see this through. The gun remained trained on him, a clear reminder that I was not afraid to use it. The situation had escalated beyond anyone's predictions. Every action, every decision was now a matter of life and death. As we prepared to step through the portal, with Bill reluctantly in tow, the gravity of what lay ahead weighed heavily on us all. We were venturing into unknown territory, a gamble that held the fate of our friends in the balance.

Bill's murmured comment was laced with a mixture of sarcasm and disappointment. "You should have more faith, Kegan," he said.

Bellamy took a step forward, but I was quick to cut him off. "Not you," I hissed sharply, my words tinged with a mixture of anger and betrayal. "You made your choice."

Murphy, always the one to voice what everyone was thinking, let out a sigh. "I really hope this new thing you believe in is worth it, Bell."

Bellamy's response was a hoarse whisper, "It is."

Raven's patience had clearly worn thin. "Come on," she snapped, "let's go."

One by one, Raven, Madi, Murphy, Emori, Jackson, and Gabriel passed through the bridge. Their departure marked a moment of profound uncertainty and resolve.

I turned to Indra, issuing a firm command. "Indra, watch him." She responded with a curt nod, understanding the gravity of the situation.

My gaze then shifted back to Bellamy. The emotional turmoil within me was palpable. "I said I wouldn't lose anyone else... but I have – you." My voice cracked slightly. "That doesn't matter to you, though, does it, Disciple Blake?"

Bellamy's expression was vacant, providing no comfort or acknowledgment. The tears that welled in my eyes were a mix of grief and frustration. "So much for 'together,'" I murmured, the words a bitter echo of our past unity.

With a heavy heart, I nodded to Indra one last time. "Let's go."

As I made my way to the portal, I couldn't help but cast a final glance back. Bellamy was approaching Malachi's throne, holding Madi's sketchbook – a symbol of the divide that now separated us. The others had already crossed the bridge, leaving just us and the remaining Disciples in the room. The moment was a poignant reminder of how much had changed, how far we had drifted from the bonds that once held us together. As I stepped through the portal, I carried with me not just the physical weight of the Flame, but also the emotional weight of lost friendships and altered destinies.