Chapter 10

The moment I spoke, I felt Raven's intense gaze on me. "Kegan," she began, her tone a mix of worry and understanding.

"Rave, I have to do this. It's Bellamy," I implored, hoping she would grasp the gravity of the situation.

She exhaled a deep sigh, her resolve firming. "We're on it," she assured, her nod conveying her commitment despite the evident strain she was under.

"I'm taking two of the bikes to Gabriel's camp. Miller thinks he can handle one. If you uncover anything more about these suits—"

"I'll ride out and meet you," Raven interjected decisively. "Ryker taught me."

"Okay," I said with a heavy sigh. "Work fast."

I turned to leave, my mind already racing ahead to the challenges that awaited us. But Raven's voice stopped me in my tracks. "Kegan, wait!" she called out, her voice laced with urgency. "Bellamy, Echo, Octavia—where exactly are they?"

I paused, the weight of not knowing their exact location settling heavily on my heart. "I don't really know. Somewhere beyond the anomaly," I admitted, my voice tinged with a mixture of determination and helplessness. "I love you, but I have to go now."

Her response was swift, filled with emotion. "I love you too."

As I stepped out of the room, the reality of our situation hit me. We were stepping into the unknown, with high stakes and unpredictable outcomes. But the determination to rescue our friends drove us forward, pushing us beyond fear and into action.

***

Pulling the helmet off with a swift motion, I surveyed the scene before me. "Nice fence," I remarked, an edge of sarcasm to my voice. "Not exactly Gabriel's style, but an interesting touch. Where are my friends?"

"In the woods, probably watching your back," the man behind the fence retorted, his voice carrying a hint of smugness.

I raised my fist, signaling my hidden allies, and four green laser dots immediately appeared on his chest. "Good guess. But I'm not talking about those friends."

"They were on Penance. Not anymore," he replied, his tone matter-of-fact.

"Penance?" I echoed, my hand dropping to my side, confusion and concern mingling in my voice.

"Penal planet," he explained, as if the term should have been self-evident. "Time moves differently there. They ended up killing five more of my people. We found their graves, and the body of a Disciple prisoner who'd been with them for five years. He took his own life after your friends betrayed him."

"You're lying," I accused, skepticism lacing my voice.

"Then he's lying too," the man countered, brandishing a piece of paper. "Suicide note."

"Toss it over," I demanded, my gaze locked on his.

Instead of complying, the man opened the gate and approached me. "I've been civil, despite your people killing nine of mine."

As he stopped in front of me, I raised my fist again, a silent warning. "I'd rather not make it ten."

"On this, we agree," he said, then gave a sharp whistle.

Suddenly, the forest around us came alive with hidden figures, revealing a far larger force than I had anticipated. "Good trick," I responded, my hand instinctively going for my gun. "These standoffs only work if you're willing to pull the trigger. Since you need me, hand over the note."

The man looked almost proud as he spoke, "Our intel on you is accurate. Smart, brave, willing to risk your life. A pity you won't risk your friends' lives too."