Chapter 19

"Kegan," Raven exhaled, her voice a mix of weariness and relief.

"What's in the bag?" Bill's eyes narrowed with suspicion as he fixed his gaze on me.

"Antitoxin from the farmhouse," I replied, my voice steady and honest.

"For your daughter," he retorted with a hint of accusation.

"Yes, primarily for Madi, but there's enough for all of us," I hissed back, frustration bubbling up. I thrust the bag towards Bellamy, my movements sharp and tense.

Bill's lips curled into a sardonic smile. "Ah, another poignant example of the destructiveness of familial love."

Ignoring his comment, I strode over to the door with determination etched on my face. My fists pounded against the unyielding metal, each knock resonating with my growing impatience.

"So, do you have the Flame or not?" Bill asked, his tone dripping with annoyance, as he stifled a yawn.

I turned, an edge of mockery in my voice. "Here's the new deal," I said, meeting his gaze. "You get this door open, and I hand over the Flame without a fight."

Bill considered this for a moment, then gave a curt nod. "Alright," he conceded. "Disciple Kelly, open the door."

As the laser cut through the door with a blinding precision, Murphy and I sprang into action, our steps echoing through the corridors of Sanctum. The urgency of the moment was palpable. As Murphy quickly scooped up Emori into his arms, a wave of relief washed over me, seeing her safe in his protective embrace. My eyes then met Madi's, and in that instant, the world seemed to still. With a few strides, I closed the distance between us and pulled her into a tight embrace. Madi clung to me, her small arms wrapped around me, her head nestled against my neck. The feeling of her there, safe and close, was more comforting than I could have ever expressed. I adjusted Madi to one arm, extending my other arm to Raven. The sensation of having both Madi and Raven, my two most important people, in my arms was indescribable. A sense of completeness, of family, enveloped me.

As Raven pulled away to address the situation, her lips brushed mine in a brief but meaningful kiss. I nodded in understanding, her determination mirrored in my own resolve. Turning my full attention to Madi, I drew her in for another hug, planting a long, tender kiss on her forehead. Pulling back, I looked into her face, taking in every feature, every expression. It had been only a few days, maybe a week since I had last seen her, but the sense of missing her had been overwhelming. In her eyes, I saw a mixture of relief, love, and the unspoken experiences she had endured in my absence. The bond between us was unbreakable, a connection that went beyond words. In that moment, with Madi safe in my arms, the chaos and danger of Sanctum seemed a world away. I vowed silently to myself to do whatever it took to keep her safe, to protect this precious life that depended on me.

Bill's interruption sliced through the tender moment like a cold blade. His voice, practical and unyielding, brought me back to the harsh reality of our deal. "Excuse me," he said, "I believe we had a deal."

I turned to face him, instinctively positioning Madi behind me, a protective gesture. With a resigned nod, I slowly reached into my jacket and carefully extracted the container holding the Flame. I hesitated for a moment, the weight of the decision heavy in my hands, before opening the lid and reluctantly passing it over to him. Bill took the Flame with a sense of triumph, examining it with a mixture of admiration and greed. At that moment, Madi's small hand gripped mine, pulling me gently away from the Shepherd, her touch a silent plea.

"I don't think you should have given him that," Madi voiced her concern, her tone laced with worry.

I looked at her, puzzled. "Why?" I asked, my gaze shifting between her and Bill's entourage.