You Must Understand One Thing: My People Come First (1)

Matthew had every intention of telling Mr. Yang about Eli's withdrawal from Brookfell Academy the moment he stepped through the threshold of the house. He knew if he withheld it for any period of time, the man would explode with rage; that Brookfell would send notice of Eli's disappearance and possibly ask for him to come back if they were desperate enough for the man's money.

There was never a good time. "I have a meeting, do not disturb me"; "I have a conference call with Shanghai"; "This needs my immediate attention; tell me later"; days later, it culminated in Mr. Yang announcing a sudden change to his schedule. "I'm off to London for a few days," the man sighed, the stench of cigar smoke permeating from every inch of him. "I've already let my secretary know to forward everything to me." Like a breath, Mr. Jun Yang was gone, climbing into the back of the rented car and riding off into the afternoon late autumn sun. His office door propped open, as if a reminder of his presence gone.

Matthew immediately sent an email explaining what happened and why he decided to withdraw Eli. He left voicemails, texted Mr. Yang. He left word with his secretary. Any and all means of communication while he was gone. For hours afterwards, he stayed by his computer, his phone face up, waiting for texts or calls back demanding what on Earth happened.

Yang never did.

The first few days were fine. Begrudgingly dragging the Civic from the carport, Matthew dropped Lilly off at Brookfell before he and Eli returned home to review schoolwork and writing exercises, trekking down to the creek while the weather was tolerable in the afternoon. Elliot schooled Matthew on trees, what nests belongs to which birds, and how to tell them by their calls. They went to the Natural History Museum with an age-appropriate scavenger hunt printed off from online. A notebook bought from the gift shop was soon filled with sketches and Eli's own notes on artifacts he found interesting.

Math, writing, and reading were constants in Elliot's homeschooling, at least one hour devoted to each.

Still, Matthew kept an eye on Yang's return.

Glancing up from his paperwork, Matt's eyes unfocused as Lilliana stomped up the front drive, Eli lagging behind, sobbing, while Audrey shuffled him along. Sighing, he stood from the kitchen table and moved to the front door. "What happened?" he asked, deadpan. "You were supposed to just be going grocery shopping."

"We were!" Lilly announced, kicking off her shoes and slipping on her slippers. "Eli asked for gummies, and Audrey was, like, 'No, we have gummies at home' and then they started fighting and then she screamed at him!" She didn't give any more information; Lilly stomped off to her room.

Eli, draped like a loose marionette, his face red and sniffling, fell onto the floor of the entry, Audrey stepping over him as she removed her shoes. "Maaaaaattt!" he wailed, writhing on the concrete floor.

Matthew wiped his hands over his face. "What happened?"

"What, Lilly didn't give you the rundown where it was my fault?" asked Audrey, her tone level but annoyed.

"Yes, but I still ask."

Audrey cocked a brow. "He asked for gummy worms. I said 'no', because we were there for groceries. Only what was on the list." She looked down at the eleven-year-old, slipping her hand behind her back and withdrawing a paring knife. "Then he pulled this out – "

Matthew snatched it. "What did I say about knives at the grocery store?"

"You never know – "

"Your rusty cleaver is the only one allowed to go. You know that." He turned back to Audrey. "Sorry, continue."

"Sorry, he has a rusty cleaver?" she asked.

He nodded. "Duller than a rubber ball." Matthew gestured to her again. "Continue."

Audrey pressed her hands to her temples, eyes wide, as she scoffed. "...uh, but...then he pulled the knife, and threatened to curse me, and everyone was looking at us, and I said he should've have brought it. Then he started crying and Lilly joined in on blaming me and..." She grunted. Crossing her arms, she turned away.

Matthew nodded. He kneeled in front of Eli, poling his head with his finger. "So...you tried to pull a fast one over on Audrey, huh?"

"No, I just – " Eli shuffled onto his knees, more composed since his flop. "Matt, you know you never know when you need one."

"Almost stabbing Mr. Reyes doesn't count as 'needing one'."

"It could've protected you if you were – "

"What did I say about knives from the kitchen?"

Elliot's expression fell. "Y – I-I know you said, not to take them, but Lilly said – "

"Your cousin's involved in this, too?"

He said nothing, face growing paler by the second. "Matt, she hurt Lloyd, and we – " Eli cut himself off, knowing whatever he said would mean little to his nanny. He deflated. "What do I lose?"

Matt considered him for a moment, inhaling. "Well, you can't take the rusty cleaver anywhere for a week, for starters."

Eli stood. "Dammit."

"And Lilly's losing privileges, as well."

"What?" she called from a distance, feet pounding the ramp from the second floor. She appeared in the hall, frazzled and wide-eyed. "I didn't do anything!"

"You told Eli to take the knife?"

Lilly scoffed, or started several explanations, before throwing her hands down. "You never know when – "

"Privileges. Lost," he said, tone firm and unrelenting. "You might not like it, but Audrey is here until Lloyd comes back. I can't change that."

"But she hurt Lloyd!" Lilly shouted, hands balled into fists on her clothes.

"Audrey, did you hurt Lloyd?" he asked, glancing.

She swallowed the moment the children's eyes landed on her. "...no."

"She's lying!" Elliot screamed. He stood. "I saw her that day! She and her dad were talking to the police, and – !"

"I didn't do that," Audrey insisted. She glanced to Matt, hoping for some kind of backup on the claim. "Who would hurt something that literally looks like the softest metal thing ever?"

"I don't know, but you – "

"Why are you even still here?" Lilly asked. "Lloyd's going to be at the place for who knows how long. You could, just, leave, and everything would be fine."

"Just leave, witch," Elliot spat. "Things were better before you reared your ugly, Medusa head and wrecked everything."