The Benefits Dinner (6)

Matthew stood, his mug clattering against the counter top as he shifted. "...may I ask why?"

"I don't like his policies on public education, policies for low-income families and the associated support networks, among other things," he explained without skipping a beat. "Mr. Culpepper seems to have such little regard for families struggling that it should make any sensible man's stomach turn." The glare in Mr. Yang's eyes was cold enough to freeze the very air around him. "Among other things."

Something in Matthew sighed in relief. He, surprisingly, found comfort in the man's words.

"I met Ms. Culpepper, as well."

He froze.

"Strolling around with a champagne glass in hand like European royalty. Laughing breathlessly like she's the epitome of class itself. And I must say – "

He clenched his jaw.

" – she is one of the most wonderfully surface-level, ill-behaved young people I've ever met. Such an air of false knowledge and self-aggrandizing. She makes my children look like saints. She makes you look like a saint."

Matthew felt his shoulders relax.

"And my, did she have some words to say about you."

He tensed up again.

"Please sit down, Mr. Robinson. I'm not going to fire you."

Meeting the man's eyes, Matthew clenched his jaw. "...you're not?"

Mr. Yang sat back at the island, leaning forward on his elbows. "I started my career in HR. I've come to understand the importance of people's words, whether they're taken at face-value or not." He paused. "I might be on the executive board, Mr. Robinson, but my job has always concerned people. I might be..." He sighed, glancing around the room. "...very fortunate in my life, but there are plenty of others around me who are not." His hard brown eyes turned back to Matthew, gaze softening. "I've said before, but I've come to know the value of people, Mr. Robinson. And if I must be quite frank, your work is..." The man sighed. "...quite good, as painful it is for me to say." He stared, not trying to hide the amused smirk creeping onto his lips.

Matthew stared back.

"I don't feel the need to tell you, either, that the children are quite taken with you," he continued, standing and pushing in the chair again. "This is, also, the longest I've gone in quite a while without firing a nanny, and I'm certainly sure I'm not interested in upsetting them and letting you go for the...petty reason of keeping some things private."

He nodded. His shoulders felt lighter.

"I'm sorry you had to..." Mr. Yang rolled his hands in front of him. "...tell me this way. I...don't doubt you had planned on revealing this all...like this, or at all."

Matthew sighed, unable to hold back his relieved smirk. "Th – thank you for understanding, sir." His voice registered just above a whisper. "And your discretion."

The older man nodded, the corners of his mouth tugging his lips into a hesitant smile. "Well then..." He cleared his throat. "...goodnight, Mr. Robinson."

"Goodnight sir."

The two departed from the kitchen that night, the estate on Cherry Street finally extinguishing its last light.