The Wind's Aren't As Strong Anymore

"Tell me what you guys think," Matthew asked, the nerves sitting heavy in his stomach.

Lilly tilted her head to the side and picked her spoon around the crispy tofu and broccoli. "I like the rice best."

"I'm not eating it," Elliot grumbled. "It might look like maggots, but it smells like spicy potato farts."

He grunted. "You haven't even tried it yet." Scooting the bowl closer to the boy only made him grumble more. "Come on, you know the rule. Eleven bites, a little of everything."

Eli grumbled, his legs hitting the support under the table.

"Mr. Robinson," Mr. Yang began, strolling towards the breakfast room, a small, thin space tucked alongside the dining room, tall windows framing the backyard from the booth and table. "You didn't call."

Matthew glanced up, swallowing back the immediate agitation. "There hasn't been a time over the last couple days where your phone hasn't gone off, sir."

Right on cue, the man's phone rang out.

"I just figured I'd save it for you."

Lilliana and Elliot turned away, staring at their meals.

He sighed, reached into his pocket, and turned it off. "I can...probably spare a few minutes," Mr. Yang whispered, sliding into the spot next to his daughter. He inspected her bowl. "What are we having?"

"Hi, Daddy," Lilly whispered, snaking an arm around the man's neck.

Smirking, he leaned into it. "Sorry, Lilliana. Elliot." He gently planted a kiss on her forehead. "I've been busy this week. If it – " His phone rang out again; he turned it off. "...if it wasn't obvious."

Leaving through the doorway into the playroom, Matthew beelined for whatever remains of the dish there were and threw it into a bowl. Along with a placemat, drink, and silverware, he returned to the table. "I made General Tso's tofu," he started, placing everything gingerly in front of him. "Let me know what you think." He remained standing.

Mr. Yang stared into the dish the same way a child would, as if trying to pick out the ingredients just by looking at it. "This is tofu?"

Lilly chuckled.

Elliot turned away.

Matthew sighed, clicking his teeth. "Yes. I, browned it in a saucepan after marinating it in soy sauce and agave." He was pretty sure he burned something, though. Matthew couldn't remember General Tso's having such a smoky smell.

Even the man seemed impressed with it. "It's still vegetarian, correct?"

"For the most part, I believe it is, sir."

"Do we have any chopsticks?" Yang asked, staring at the silverware beside the bowl.

Matthew shook his head. "We don't. I can find some temporary ones at the store when I go in a couple days, and get some more permanent ones later."

"Hm," was his response. Slipping the food between his lips, sauce dribbling down from his lips, the man patted it away with his fingertips and swallowed. Wiping his chin with the napkin, Mr. Yang opened his mouth.

"Sorry."

He blinked, eyes narrowing in confusion. "Is my expression that bad?" he asked.

Lilliana stood up on the seating and turned to him. "You can be very scary," she told him, patting his shoulder.

Matthew swallowed. "Just...a gut reaction, to expect something bad."

"I like it, Matt!" Lilly beamed, plopping herself back down and continuing her meal.

Elliot, still frowning, sat up. "I'm doing it for you," he said, holding his spoon over his head. He picked up one piece of tofu and ate it.

Mr. Yang put down his spoon and sighed. "Mr. Robinson, sit down, please."

Matthew slid into his spot next to Elliot.

Putting his spoon down, Elliot frowned. "The sauce on the tofu was good. But I didn't like it."

The man sighed, pushing the bowl closer to him. "Elliot, I will not tolerate – "

"Actually," Matthew interrupted, his tone light. He chuckled and patted the boy's back. "You know what? You tried it, and that's enough for me. I'd like it if you had ten more bites, but if you're not going to do that, then that's that."

Elliot smiled wearily and sank into his seat.

"I believe you said something about 'not coddling them'," the man noted.

Matthew's smile remained. "You're right, but I don't believe in forcing kids to do anything. You know, without a little honest encouragement."

Yang harrumphed. "'Coercion', in my opinion, is the better word to use."

"Coercion?" Lilly asked.

Her father waved her off. "It's an adult word."

"It means threatening or forcing someone to do something, and I don't like that word, sir," Matthew explained.

Mr. Yang raised an eyebrow at the comment.

"It takes away autonomy."

Face unmoved, the man seemed more confused at the comment.

Matthew turned back to the boy. "Elliot, you know you're going to be hungry if you don't eat this, right? I'm not making you anything if you get hungry later, okay?"

The boy nodded.

"Okay." Matthew ruffled his hair. "Proud of you for trying, still."

The man moved his bowl to the side. "He hasn't eaten anything. How are you accepting this behavior?" Mr. Yang asked. "Elliot, Mr – Matthew made somethin – "

"Mr. Yang," he interrupted again, "with all due respect, he tried it, even if it was just one bite. I can encourage him to try more, but he's the one who gets to decide to do it. He knows he'll be hungry if he doesn't eat, and that's as much as I can do."

By the look on his face, he still didn't understand. "When I was your age," he started, "I ate what I was given. I didn't fuss at all."

"Did your parents eat with you?"

The man's brown eyes met Matthew's.

Matthew picked up his spoon and played gently with the broccoli.

"...sorry," Eli whispered.

"Don't pout," Matthew whispered, patting the boy's head again. "You tried it, and that's what matters to me. Thanks."

Elliot's eyes lingered on Matthew for a moment before he sat upright again.

Lilliana nibbled at some white rice. "It's warm-tasting, Daddy. It tastes like...like it makes me feel snuggly."

Diving the spoon down the side for some rice, Elliot kept eating.

When Matthew's eyes met Yang's again, he held his breath.

The older man plunged his spoon into the bowl and took another bite, his motions slow and deliberate. Wiping his lips with the spoon's edge, he turned to Matthew and said, without any hesitation, "It's...okay. I think the tofu or the sauce is burned, but...it's good." His expression softened. "Thank you for the meal."

After a moment, he smiled. "Thank you for joining us."

Mr. Yang turned to his daughter, a comfortable conversation settling between them.

Matthew's eyes returned to his dish and sighed in relief. He picked up his spoon and started eating.

A/N ~
hi, guys, it is i - author.

this is, technically, where i have my act 1 break, so i'm gonna take a break and then come back with more of these weird peoples and their nonsense! see you all january 29th, have wonderful winter holidays (if you don't celebrate, enjoy spending time with friends and family regardless), and a joyous end to 2021 (finally)!