Winds Changed Again (3)

"Ugh," Liza groaned, "that sounds gross."

"...poisons?"

"I mean, I did also stipulate that it needed to be homeopathic." Matthew shrugged. "But yeah. Mandrake, witch hazel, coltsfoot...poisons."

Toby leaned forwards. "You're so fucking lucky you're overqualified for this job." Leaning back, he asked, "Why don't you frame it like an ongoing science experiment? Track the progress of plants. Kids find that stuff interesting when they have the attention span for it."

He shook his head. "It's like talking to a wall with that guy."

"Did you try sleeping with him?" asked Liza.

His gaze dipped, yet Matthew still felt his ears turn hot. "Absolutely not."

"Kill him. I can represent you in court."

"No."

She tsked at him. "You're boring."

"I don't have the poisons to do it," Matthew whispered, grinning.

Even she seemed modestly impressed by that. "I – y'know, that's fair."

"Honestly, I just want to drop it. I-I have too much on my plate right now," he sighed, sinking into the armchair. "The Foundation's putting on requirements for me, Yang's vetoing what I wanted to do in the playroom, Lloyd's conversion and restoration, and, you know, weirdly enough, Lilly and Eli don't really like the fact that two of their after school clubs are gone for tutoring. And, again, learning to fucking cook."

She grinned. "I love getting your messages about burned foods. It gives me life."

Toby nudged her in the arm. His eyes stayed fixed on Matthew. "Why don't you let me talk to him?"

"No. I don't want to put this on you."

"What, I don't have a job to distract me right now."

"I'll just drop it," Matthew insisted. "It's no big deal." He'll just have to deal with the children's tantrums.

"Why?"

"It's not your job."

Toby leaned forward. "That's not a reason."

"I mean, yeah, but it's still my job. I don't want to force it onto you."

"I'm asking if you wanted help."

Liza sighed. "Let me know when this conversation isn't so roundabout." She stood and headed to the kitchen.

"I told you, I'm just going to drop it right now," Matthew continued.

"Please?" He moved forward again, propping himself on his elbows, a melancholic look dripping from his eyes. "I-I need to work. I-I've never been out of work; it feels wrong. Please, just let me help. Even if it amounts to nothing. Even if it is just a waste of time. Please?"

Matthew sat back, his gray eyes trying to fix on something other than his friend. He could've seen himself saying something similar while he searched for something, though Matthew did also note that he was coasting on Liza's "good will". Licking his lips, he sighed and rolled his head from side to side. "I.. can ask if he can meet with you. Sometime this week, is that okay?"

Toby stood. "I need to get out of here for a while," he murmured, tapping his feet into his shoes.

"Toby, pick up some more bagels before you come back!"

He glanced around. "What is happening."

"Ice cream," Toby muttered. "I want ice cream." He turned, staring daggers at Liza and Matthew. "Oh my God, I have never wanted ice cream more than right now."

"Oh, I want ice cream," Liza announced, dashing from behind the kitchen counter to the front door. "You're driving, right?"

"You're not coming," Toby hissed. "I don't want to be sadder."

She stood up, gasping. "Does this mean I get to remind Toby that I'm paying for everything now?" she asked, clearly gleeful.

Matthew grimaced.

Toby groaned. "Fine. Fine, come."

"You're driving," she told him, throwing a set of car keys.

Toby caught them. "One scoop."

Standing, Matthew wiped his eyes. "May-maybe we shouldn't – "

"Oh, can we see the bastard's house?" Liza asked. "I want to compare what I need to work up to."

"That'd be cool," Toby added. "A good idea from you, finally."

She smacked him in the arm. "Can we? Can we?"

Matthew's words were drowned out by Liza dragging their former roommate out the front door, locking it behind him.