You're Acting Like Us (1)

After the second night of the house sitting quiet, Matthew, desperate to talk to someone, called Toby. When he didn't pick up, he called Liza. Which proved to be a worse decision, considering the first words out of his mouth were, "I think I'm about to be fired."

Which proved to be an even worse decision, considering the first words out of her mouth were, "You have been gone for almost two weeks, and that's what you say when you call?"

Matthew wiped his eyes, sighing. "Liza, please, I'm not in the mood right now."

"Nice to hear from you, too, Matt," she hissed. "How have the last two fucking weeks been?"

"I'm s – !"

"Did you just plan on moving out and never talking to us again? That's real classy, you gay ass."

He pressed HANG UP. He popped a couple pieces of nicotine gum and tried Toby again. When it went to voicemail, Matthew called him again.

Liza's name popped up on the screen.

Matthew ignored it. He tried Toby again after his phone stopped buzzing, even tempted to call his parents.

She tried calling again.

He picked up. "What."

"Listen here, you fuck –"

"Rein it the fuck back, Liza. I don't need shit from you telling me I'm a terrible friend. Just wanted to call and tell you I'm probably going to be fired because I've wasted my time trying to be a teacher so I'll probably be moving back into the apartment if you haven't gotten rid of my bed in Toby's room. That cool?" He hung up, and after regretting his word choice and volume, tried calling Toby again.

Toby's voicemail message rang out.

Liza called again.

Matthew didn't pick up.

She tried again.

He picked up. "What."

Liza took in a slow breath. "...try again?"

Matthew glanced down. "Sure."

"... it's good to hear from you, Matt," she whispered. "We missed you." Liza scoffed. "Well, I missed you, but I don't think Toby would admit it." She chuckled, but after a moment, the silence hanging between them was deafening.

Swallowing, Matthew turned his face away. From what, he wasn't sure. He tried rubbing out the burning behind his eyes. "Sorry."

"What happened?" Something on her end shifted, clacking loudly. "Was, was it Audrey?"

"...no. It was me."

After a long, tense second, she whispered, "Did you try calling Toby?"

"Yeah," Matt sighed. "Didn't pick up."

"I'm not good with this emotions bullshit."

Covering his eyes for a moment, Matthew smirked. He didn't want to. "I know. I just...needed someone to talk to."

"You're a nanny. Where're that bastard's kids?"

"Locked in their rooms." He turned his head, staring through the empty dining room towards the office, hoping that he'd be seen. To assure himself that the house had occupants, not torturing him with every wrong word leading up to this moment. "They won't talk to him because they think we don't like each other. Except it's reinforced by one kid seeing us fight, and the other...kind of...inferring it."

"And, aaaaaaaand...you don't like him because he's an asshole."

He exhaled, gritting his teeth. "Yes, he is." Not for the reasons she was thinking, but definitely an asshole.

"I told you. That guy's scummy." Without skipping a beat, she asked, "What're his kids like? Are they, like, posh smarmy children who talk in 'I-Am-Better-Than-Thou' accents?"

"No, worse. They're individualistic."

Liza cackled lowly. "Serves him right."

Matthew ran a hand through his hair. "They're great kids, though. Annoying, but...great."

"So, what, you're lying down and accepting him firing you?"

He swallowed.

"Fight for it, Matt."

"...I think I deserve it."

She grunted. "Matt – "

"No, I...I...I really think I crossed a line with him. With the job, I mean."

"Okay, enough of your pity-party – "

"No, I-I'm being serious."

Pausing, she took in a breath. "Wait, this isn't, just, you being a Debbie Downer?"

"...no." Biting the inside of his cheek, he sighed. "I...think I actually deserve it this time."

Liza whistled. "What did you do?"

"Pushed back too hard, probably."

"Kinky."

"L-Liza."

"Sorry, sorry." She swallowed, then asked, "Okay, wait, how in the – wait, I thought you wanted this job."

"I did. I-I do, but – " He stopped, unable to continue; he couldn't find the words, anyways.

"Matt?"

Turning, he caught sight of a too-determined Lilliana crossing through the dining room.

"Liza, I think I have to call you back." He hung up.

"Elliot needs you."

Matthew stood. "Where is he? Is-is he okay?"

She waved her hand, turning back towards the living room.

He trotted after her, trying to keep up with her steady pace, her slippered feet padding against the concrete floor. Yet when she turned into Mr. Yang's office, Matthew stopped.

Leaning out from the doorway, Lilliana pursed her lips and grabbed Matthew's hand, pulling the man inside.

The door closed behind him. Elliot moved slowly, following the shelving on the wall.