Changing the Wind (3)

Matthew finally found the energy to step forward. "Sir, I'm sorry. They, wanted to see where I was living, and he – " He swallowed. "I'll walk you to your car, guys."

Liza backed away from the table.

The older man asked, "Mr...Schroeder, you said?"

Toby nodded.

He folded his hands behind his back. "I do not take kindly to being called a moron."

Matthew watched the breath in his friend's throat hitch. Keeping his eyes down, Toby moved passed Mr. Yang and followed after Liza back to the living room.

"Mr. Schroeder?"

Toby turned his head.

Mr. Yang stared into the empty space, so wonderfully sun lit despite the lingering smell and the smearing yellow across the floor. "Send me your resume, when you've updated it."

Fumbling backwards, Toby trotted after Liza back toward the loggia doors.

Lilliana swiped all of her maps from the table. "But you didn't say any names, Liza!" She followed after.

Eli started moving passed them, leaving behind a wonderful mound of paper towels.

Mr. Yang grabbed his arm. "If you think you're leaving, think again," he said lowly, glaring down at his nephew. "Clean up your satanic mess now."

"It's chemistr – "

"I do not care," he snapped back. "Clean it up."

Fists rolled against his sides, Elliot stomped back into the conservatory. He fell to his knees, continuing.

"Mr. Robinson," Yang continued, turning his hard eyes to the nanny, "will you – "

"What was that?"

He blinked. "Excuse me?"

Matthew approached the man, fists against his side. "Besides you belittling your own nephew, Toby didn't say anything different than I did," he spat. "What, is this some kind of vindictive, spite-filled – "

"Mr. Robinson." Yang's brown eyes turned to him. "It isn't a matter of 'him versus you'." He turned away, staring into the empty, sun-lit space. "I've had the benefit of having my career that's emphasized the importance of people." His eyes moved back to Matthew. "I...recognize I'm asking a lot of you, not just presently but in the role I've hired you for." Mr. Yang's eyes moved to the living room. "Ideally, I'd of liked you to have waited to set this up. However..." He turned back to the conservatory. "...I recognize passion in Mr. Schroeder. A care for the craft, shall we say."

He swallowed. Matthew forced a frown

Mr. Yang met the other man's eyes again. "Consider it an informal apology. For..." He cleared his throat. "...before. I, don't think I ever formally apologized, either. Now, however, seems ideal, since I'm also not interested in seeing you burn yourself out, Mr. Robinson."

Matthew clenched his jaw. His ears burned.

The older man sighed. "I know I can probably not make amends for how I treated you before, but I can help someone who is in your position, as, no doubt, I'd imagine you'd do the same for him. However, I have to ask you one question."

He nodded.

Elliot trotted around the corner, grumbling, a great wad of paper towels in his hands.

"Do you vouch for him, Mr. Robinson?"

Matthew took in a slow breath. "Yes."

Yang nodded. "...okay, then." A hand running down to smooth out his blazer, Mr. Yang turned on his heels back towards the kitchen. "Tell Mr. Schroeder to send me his resume once it's been updated, and at least three references. Once the background checks have gone through, he can start work." He disappeared around the corner.

Matthew wiped his eyes, sighing. He turned and headed for the loggia doors.

"I-I didn't do anything, did I?" Toby asked, grabbing Matthew's shoulders once he reached them. "Fu – shoot, Matt, I didn't mean to!"

"No, there's another 'T'," Liza whispered, leaning down to a spot on Lilliana's map. "Enttelycott."

"Is it magical enough?" Lilly asked, leaning back on her heels. "Matt, does this sound magical enough?"

Clearing his throat, Matthew sighed. He forced a smile. "Mr. Yang wants to let you know that, as soon as you've updated your resume and have three references, he'll...offer you something."

Toby grinned, though must have recognized it was misplaced; his gaze dropped. He let out a shaking breath. "...sorry."

"...you would've gotten it, regardless," Matthew whispered, smirking. "You're too talented for your own good."

"Matt," Lilliana whined, "does 'Enttelycott' sound magical?"

Matthew turned his eyes to Liza. "When did you get good with kids?"

"Enttelycott isn't trademarked," she answered.

"Better," Toby whispered. "Seemed unnatural for her." He cracked a smile.

Letting out his own breathless chuckle, Matthew ushered everyone back to the small red Cube, his eyes never moving to the sad blue Bug sitting outside.