Protected

Ava's P.O.V.

I am sitting alone at lunch contemplating my very existence when a boy who I've never seen before walks toward me. And he asked, "Hey do you mind if I sit here I'm new here and I have no one to sit with." But before I could answer Harley interrupted me. "Hey, new kid! You don't want to sit with her. She's a freak and she is cursed. Trust me you don't want to sit with her." The boy just put his head down and walked towards me and set his food down and turned to face Harley.

"Look. I don't care what her 'reputation' is or if she is 'cursed' all I want to do is eat my lunch in peace. So could you kindly leave me the hell alone and let me eat?" He said facing the person who had the whole school terrified. I just sat there looking stupid. He came back and asked the same question. I just ignored it and brushed it off. He sat down and started to talk to me. "Hey... um, what's your name?" He awkwardly asks. Ava. Now leave me alone. I replied in a harsh and cold tone. He just kept going. "Look I don't know who you are or what your goal is but I want nothing to do with you. I sit alone for a reason. Take a look around. Do you see anyone walking up to us or trying to conversate with us?" I said in a cold and harsh tone. The boy opened his mouth. I looked at him with a harsh stare. "If I were you I would take her advice and leave me alone. Like she said I'm not to be messed with. So leave."

The boy just scooted closer and said "the names Richard. Now I'll ask again could we be friends?" Richard said. This boy just doesn't get it. Well, 'Richard' what must I do to get my words into your thick skull? I said standing over the boy. Richard just says "You can't do anything." This went on for months. He would follow me everywhere even in the halls talking about the most random of things. "Common You're no fun ava. Why won't you just lighten up? In these last few months have never once seen you smile or cry or even get frustrated Why can't we be friends are you afraid?" Richard says curiously.

I stopped in the middle of the hall turned around and said in a monotone voice Why won't you leave me alone? Don't you get it I'm not good for you! You are persistent in annoying the ever-living daylights out of me every day. I've tried everything. Telling you to leave me alone, to go away. You are being reckless at this point. Why haven't you listened to Harley? I'M A FREAK. I am dangerous to be around. If you continue to hang around me you will be an outcast. Everyone will avoid you. I'm not ready for that again. I'm not ready to lose another person in my life. It's already happened twice I don't want it to happen again. After that sentence tears started to form in my eyes. Sure I am emotionless but I still can cry. I can still feel the pain. I'm still a human.

All the students in the hallway were recording the interaction. And they all gasped when they saw tears form. Richard dropped his books and blocked the view of the camera. He got in front of me and blocked the kid's view of me he even took off his blazer and put it over me so the kids couldn't record me. He kind of reminds me of my mom. She would always protect me. That's actually how she died. I was about to be shot and she ran out in front of me.

She died protecting me. I started to sniffle as tears were now freely falling down my face. I got up and ran. I ran to the nearest room and cried. I heard a knock at the door. I couldn't let anyone think that I am weak. So I put on a facade and put on the straightest face I could muster and I answered it was Richard. "Hey, ava. Are you okay? You kinda just broke down after I said that. If I hurt you I'm sorry." I stopped Richard there. You didn't hurt me. You just hit a nerve. There is no reason for you to apologize.

After I had finished crying Richard and I walked to our next class. I stopped at the bathroom to wash my face and reduce the puffiness of my eyes. While walking I asked if he wanted to be friends. He just jumped in excitement. He's such a goofball. I said okay and told him that we had to go over some rules and to meet me at the back of the school.

Ava's rules of friendship.

Rule 1. No sneaking up on her because the person will get hurt

Rule 2. She had a wired pen to a voice box to tell her if the button was pressed and the number of times.

Times pushed and meaning

- One time means 'I'm being followed

- Twice means I am being held somewhere as a hostage

- Three times means I'm in immediate danger or feel unsafe

Rule 3. If she goes missing or doesn't come to school don't question it.

Rule 4. In a situation of danger do as she says no questions asked

Rule 5. If you hear things and you clicked the button don't ask questions and stay silent.

Rule 6. Don't question the marks on ava's body

Rule 7. If you are at her house bow to whoever is at the door and be respectful. Look like you are clean and organized keep your uniform tucked and straight at all times.

Rule 8. Do not follow her anywhere without telling her or asking. It will not end well.

Rule 9. If you see a man who looks related to ava keep quiet and don't protest when asked to leave or do something. And whatever you do if you hear things in her home whatever happens there stays there. Don't go blabing about it.

I gave Richard an address and told him if he had any questions to come here. And I started to walk home. I forgot to tell him that i wouldn't be there tomorrow due to having work. And I would come to regret this decision greatly.