Jysika

Originally posted in September of 2013 on Quizilla

Name: Hiroko

Meaning: generous child

Life story: 

There was a village which had about seven priestesses, a surprisingly large number, considering that some villages didn't even have one priestess. The reason that the village had so many was out of desperation, an attempt to keep the dying tradition alive.

An enera named Iwao had been wandering the outskirts of the village in his human form when he happened upon one of the priestesses. She didn't recognize him as one of the villagers, and for some reason, Iwao admitted that he was in fact a demon. Because the moment she spoke, Iwao was captivated. She had already been able to tell, though, and even after she heard him say that he was a demon, she was enamored. The priestess and demon felt something which neither a priestess nor a demon were supposed to feel. Perhaps it was too soon to call it love, but what they felt was not far off. For a demon, this was weak and unusual, and for a priestess, forbidden.

The priestess, Ayaka, began seeing the enera, despite it being against her vows, and it didn't take long before the other priestess caught on to the fact that she was not only having an affair, but having an affair with a demon. Ayaka eventually became pregnant, secretly unsure of whether to count this as a gift or a punishment for breaking her vows, knowing that she would likely be stripped of her priestess status. She died in child birth, and Iwao approached the elder priestess, telling her that Ayaka had passed and that a half-demon could not be raised around other demons. The priestess agreed to give Ayaka a proper funeral and much to the objection of the other priestess, raise her child: you.

The priestesses raised you for a long while until the elder priestess had passed, at which point the other priestesses, who had been just barely tolerating your presence, told you that you needed to leave. You set off then, wandering from village to village, usually being able to remain for a time, due to your human-like appearance.

One night, when camped out in the woods on your way to a nearby village, you heard a small voice in the darkness.

"K-Kagome? I-Inuyasha? Hello?"

"Are you lost?" you asked the voice. In response there was a yelp of fear, and you could make out a small silhouette clinging to a tree. You noticed the silhouette had a tail, and came to the conclusion that it must belong to some sort of small demon.

"No need to be afraid," you assured it. "I'm not going to hurt you." You put your foot forward, jabbing at the nearly dead fire you had made and bringing it back to life.

The now visible fox demon hugging the tree slid down until it was seated on the grass, a look of both surprise and curiosity evident on its face.

"Do you need any help?" you inquired.

"I-I can't find my friends," he sniffled. "I wandered off and thought I could find my way back, but it's windy, so I can't make out their scent to find them."

"I'll help you find them," you offered.

"Y-you will?"

"Of course," you said. "How about you stay here with me for the night, and then in the morning we'll go look for them. You must be exhausted."

"A little," the fox demon admitted, timidly stepping towards you. When he was about a yard away from you he abruptly stopped and began to look you up and down, as if assessing you. "You're a half-demon."

"Yes," you admitted, "is that a problem?" Aside from your village, you hadn't had to deal much with discrimination for being a half-demon, and you'd only heard of the cruelty that full-blood demons treated them with. You raised an eyebrow, wondering if that was truly the case, even for a demon as young as the one which stood before you.