Stranger

Sky breathed heavily. He then looked up and saw himself in the mirror of the bathroom. The person staring back at him looked tormented. His hands were placed on either side of the basin as if he'd fall if he didn't get the support. Water dripped down his hair and face. His eyes looked tired and worn out. The bathroom was dimly lit, this completed the picture of someone who was suffering.
   Sky closed his eyes and tried to collect his thoughts. 'Why did P'Pai's proximity have the same seductive affect on him, just like two years ago? He hated Phi, didn't he? And after everything, the thought of being touched that way again repulsed him. But he still wanted P'Pai to touch him. Why Sky? Even Phi's hurtful words affected him, when he thought he had stopped giving a fuck about what anyone said or did. This wasn't right. He needed to stop or he'd end up in the same state as two years ago, broken trust, broken body and a broken heart, but he knew that this time, he wouldn't survive. He took a few deep breaths and then stood up straight.
    He had to get to Iris. She would help him calm down. Caring and worrying about her usually helped Sky get rid of any other thoughts. So he rushed out of the bathroom and got into the elevator. There he met Thanya, P'Pai's assistant. "Oh! Mr Sky, I already apologised the staff and your secretary Kom, but I'll just apologise again. I'm sorry about the mess in the board meeting room. We'll pay for all the losses", she said. Sky had no idea what she was talking about. Thanya looked at Sky's confused face and immediately understood that he didn't know anything about the incident. "Mr Prapai overturned the table in the meeting room in a fit of anger. I don't know what got over him but I'm sure he is sorry. And I apologise on his behalf", Sky snorted listening to that. P'Pai would never be sorry for such a thing, he thought. But he quickly said, "It's fine. I accept your apology".
    The elevator had reached the third floor. Both stepped out of the elevator at the same time. Sky looked at the assistant with surprise, "Are you getting off here too? I thought you'd go to the basement". Thanya was a bit flustered. She was already ashamed of the scene that her boss had caused and now she had to deal with the embarrassment of using one of their own rooms. But she had to get Mr Prapai treated urgently. She had already called a medic to the room so she was sure that the treatment was done. So all she had to do was pick Mr Prapai from that room and leave the hotel. "Yes, I'm sorry. But Mr Prapai was hurt during the incident, so we needed some place to stay until he got treated. We'll be leaving right after that", she said trying to sound calm and professional. 'P'Pai is hurt, I should probably go and...', Sky suddenly shook his head to get rid of that thought.
    Sky had a bad feeling about this. But he just nodded and both walked in the same direction. His premonition was confirmed when both he and the assistant stood infront of the same door. "Are you going to the same room Mr Sky?", she asked, a bit confused. Sky didn't answer but instead unlocked the door with the mastercard and got into the room. What he saw infront of him made his heart skip a beat.
    That jacket Phi was wearing this morning lay crumpled on the table. And there on the couch, P'Pai dozed off, his head resting on one of the armrests, and his legs slightly dangling off the other. His hair and shirt were a mess. Even the tie was tossed on the floor. He had his arms wrapped around Iris, cuddling her close to his chest, as she slept soundly. One of his arms was bandaged, showing that the medic was here a while ago.
    Sky approached them in a daze. He looked at them for a while. 'He was right, she did have his eyes and nose. She'll probably grow up looking more like Phi than me', Sky thought. Why can't this be reality? You know why, Sky.  You know this is a dangerous fantasy, that will only leave you longing for something you can never have. And you'll be hurt over and over again. Stop thinking about it. You can never have it.
    Thanya came over and stood beside Sky. She was in an awkward position right now. Her boss was asleep with that baby Mr Sky was holding this morning. Probably his child, she thought. She looked at Sky, waiting for his next move. But he just stood there staring at Mr Prapai and the child, with a tormented look in his eyes. Thanya couldn't understand that look. She then looked at her boss on the couch, for some strange reason, the baby looked a little bit like Mr Prapai. Might be a coincidence, she thought.
    She checked her watch, and realized, they were late for the next meeting. She had to wake Mr Prapai and get going. But Mr Sky showed no signs of moving, so she cleared her throat loudly. Sky suddenly looked at her, then at Mr Prapai and the baby, like he was electrocuted. He rushed over to the couch and took the baby away from Mr Prapai's arms with a jerk.
    This woke Prapai up. He sat up and stared at Sky for a few seconds, as he tried to collect his thoughts. Iris had woken up due to that sudden jerk and was now crying loudly. Sky started rocking her to calm her down, while backing away from the couch and P'Pai. "What is wrong with you Sky? Why would you pull her away like that? She could get hurt. Or do you think I am that despicable, that you can't allow me near her?", Prapai asked once he understood the situation. Sky was breathing hard, all the thoughts he just had, scared him to death. And he was supposed to keep Phi away from Iris. He needs to get out of here before Phi asks more questions. And the fact that P'Pai talked about Iris like he was familiar with her, as if they were related in someway enraged him. Iris was his. He had bourn all the pain of bringing her to this world, all alone. So Phi had no right to even speak like that, he thought.
   He glared at P'Pai and said, "She is my daughter. I can take care of her. This might sound rude but, as we are done with the meeting and your wounds have been treated, I think you should leave". Iris's crying turned into shallow whimpers as she realised it was Sky holding her and she calmed down slowly. Sky used one of his arms to support her, and brought out his phone from his pocket with the other hand. He then called Kom and waited for him to pick the call.
    Prapai got up from the couch as Thanya handed him his tie and jacket. She didn't understand what was going on between her boss and Mr Sky, but she could feel the awkward tension. She looked at Prapai and saw that he was about to say something. With the angry look on his face, she guessed it was nothing pleasant. She had to stop him from bothering Mr Sky any further. They had just signed a very important contract and she thought it wasn't in their best interest to displease him right now. So she inturrepted Prapai by saying, "Sir, we need to get back to the HQ, the meeting with the builders starts in 15", Prapai looked at her, giving her an annoyed look.
    Kom picked Sky's call on the fifth ring, "Kom, get to room 304 and escort Mr Prapai and his assistant out, and where is the nanny? How could she be so negligent as to leave Iris with a stranger. Bring her along with you", and Sky hung up. He then turned to Prapai and his assistant and in an all-business tone said, "Please let Kom escort you out of the hotel",he then turned around and walked out of the room in a hurry with Iris in his arms.
    Prapai tried to go after him but was stopped by Thanya. "Sir we need to leave", she said. Prapai thought about how Sky had just called him a stranger and asked him to leave. It hurt. Everything Sky says or does these days seems to hurt him. This started to upset him. But then he suddenly remembered  what happened before Sky entered the room. He fell asleep with Iris in his arms. He could still feel the warmth. 'Why does that girl have this affect on me?', he thought.