Chapter 16: When you have nothing else...you have him

Chapter 16:

When you have nothing else...you have him

As we fly further to the east and away from the cliff, the flapping of the eagles' wings and the whispering winds of Mirkwood begin to drone out the orc sounds. My eyes continually scan the forests and plains, lain out below us, in search of danger, and yet I know we are safe for this instantaneous moment. For my own composure, I fly beneath the eagle holding the limp Thorin; if he were to fall, I would never forgive myself.

"Thorin!" Fili shouts out for his uncle, misery evident in his tone. My concern for the king dwarf is heightened as I feel the blood from his wounds drip onto my already-red feathers. The blood of my kin keeps my feathers red.

Our wings begin to slow as we approach the bear-snouted mountain, the Carrock. Ever so gently, we begin our descent to earth, and therefore danger. The whistling of the winds become fainter as I fly ahead, changing into my dwarf-like form after landing in the thick grass.

The eagles deposit the company near my location, on top of the bear's snout. Thorin is placed gently on the ground, more so than any other dwarf.

"Thorin! Thorin!" Gandalf shouts. It is the first time that I have ever seen Gandalf in a panic. Usually he is the cool-and-composed wizard, but not anymore.

My head bows to the eagles in a sign of humble respect. They have always come to my aid in times of need, but now that I am with a company, their help makes me all the more grateful. The eagles are wise creatures, always siding with good. They are like Phoenicians in that way.

After giving the eagles my gratitude, I run to my dwarf's side along with Bilbo. It is then that Thorin regains consciousness, gasping and eyes widening at Gandalf's healing spell. I retreat towards the remainder of the company, seeing Thorin's need for space.

"The halfling?" Thorin asks, his voice weaker than usual. I can tell that he is in pain, but also that he is trying to cover it up.

"It's all right. Bilbo is here. He's quiet safe," Gandalf reassures him as if the dwarf actually cares for the hobbit. Thorin stands up, of course with the help of Dwalin and Kili, redirecting his attention to Bilbo.

"You! What were you doing? You nearly got yourself killed! Did I not say that you would be a burden? That you would not survive in the wild and that you had no place amongst us?" Thorin demands of the hobbit, shocking the whole company. I am unable to speak due to his sheer rudeness towards his savior, Bilbo. For once in my life, I am truly silenced. Bilbo, as one could expect, looks absolutely terrified. That is, until Thorin says, "I've never been so wrong in all my life!"

Thorin grabs Bilbo into a hug of desperation. I release a sigh, glad that Thorin has been restored to his good, or more like decent, senses. The dwarves cheer at the reconciliation as I laugh. My body acts on its own, sitting me down on the cliff side as I check over my body for any injuries. There are none.

As I no longer have to fear the wrath of Thorin towards Bilbo, I am finally able to breathe deeply, knowing that my family is safe.

"I am sorry I doubted you," Thorin apologizes for the first time ever.

"No, I would have doubted me too. I'm not a hero or a warrior...not even a burglar," Bilbo admits, sending us all into chuckles. The eagles take the relaxed tension of the dwarves as their sign to depart. I wave at them as they return home, a smile glittering on my face.

My eyes turn to face the company before stopping on Thorin, whose eyes are focused solely on me.

It is as if all time stops. The dwarves are gone. Smaug's existence does not cloud our thoughts. The winds beat across our skin without the nerves' response. I am safe in the comfort of those eyes, who approach mine at a fast rate.