Chapter 62: The newest weight-loss diet...giving birth

Chapter 62:

The newest weight-loss diet...giving birth

"Thorin, Thorin! Calm down and stop your running!" I hear from a nearby hallway, in the obvious tone of Dis. She has clearly done what I sent her to do: inform Thorin that I am in labor. And, as it would seem, the dwarf king is acting just as I expected, with panic and irritation.

"My wife's in labor and you expect me to take a leisurely stroll to my chambers?!" Thorin exclaims from the other side of the closed door where the majority of our friends await the baby. His rushed footsteps push through the door with a bang that highlights his frenzy. This is exactly why I postponed telling Thorin of the imminent delivery; I have been in labor for eight hours already, and the pain would have only been heightened by Thorin's attitude.

"Please Thorin, I could do without your panic right now," I plead with the dwarf king as his eyes land on me, resting on our bed. The look of panic previously conquering his face calms down at my sight as he moves towards Lyn who will deliver our child. To say I am uncomfortable with this arrangement would be an understatement, but apparently it's a dwarven tradition and I'd prefer not to have Oin helping with the birth.

"Hey! And don't look down there!" I yell at Thorin, taking his hand and pulling him back. The room is practically empty of all people as I desire a private birth, away from the eyes of the company members. As Thorin holds my right hand, Bilbo clutches my left with a permanent flushed look. Tauriel, Palo, and Dis are rushing about with preparations as the time ticks down until the baby's arrival.

"Not like--" Thorin begins before I cut him off, knowing exactly what he will say:

"Ya, ya. I know! 'Not like I haven't seen it before!' This is different and thoroughly disgusting. I want to vomit just witnessing the birth from up here," I exclaim in loud voice, having lost the ability to talk at a lower volume just hours ago. The contractions have steadily increased in proximity to one another, now just minutes in between. Speaking of the painful feeling, another one hits at this moment: "Gah! Get this child out of me!"

"Quiet Rue," Thorin coos me as he lays a kiss on my forehead. My mouth drops open at this statement, as the dwarf king has been shouting like this for days. Whenever I cringed at the pain in my lower back, Thorin would begin yelling that "the baby is coming" when, in fact, it was just discomfort. Obviously, the dwarf king is very jumpy when it comes to practical matters as are these.

"Ya, we can hear you from the hallway," Kili proclaims as he enters the room, brother in tow. I narrow my eyes at the nephews, seeing as even a historical moment as is this cannot hinder their cheekiness. With these pregnancy hormones, I'm honestly tempted to kill them.

"You're shushing me!?" I exclaim after turning to Thorin. "This is your fault to begin with, Kingy!" At my words, I gesture to my raised stomach from which a child is trying to escape. Around the time that Thorin's eyebrow faded in colour, my baby bump appeared in all its cuteness. I am now extremely bloated from the pregnancy, though I will gladly accept this in exchange for morning sickness.

"Is this a family reunion!? Get out, dwarflings!" I yell once catching the gazes of Fili and Kili. Not wanting to deal with my anger, deriving from the labor pain, the two nephews bolt out of the room to address other members of the company. Turning back to the matter at hand, another contraction hits. "Ow! This is surely your child, Oakenshield. Too stubborn to just get out of my womb! Digging its heels in and all!"