Chapter 2: When I went to Bree to pick up some ladies

Chapter 2:

When I went to Bree to pick up some ladies

We arrive in Bree by the second night.  As we trekked to this town, Gandalf told me of his plan that focused around Thorin Oakenshield.  We are to reclaim the Lonely Mountain, Erebor.  If anything, this information makes me more eager to join in the adventure.  I have never faced a dragon, but I know they side with evil.  And I am out to vanquish evil in all of its forms.

So there we sit, in the Prancing Pony, our faces shadowed by the large men and a dark night.  We watch as Thorin eats his food, oblivious to the danger he is in, as assassins sit in the corners of the room, mirroring his movements.  Gandalf's impeccable ability to always arrive at the right time continually baffles me, yet I shake it off as the two men make their way towards the dwarf king.  I have little clue as to who these men are, but I expect they're not just here to chat.

At this point, Gandalf decides to swoop in, saving Thorin from an imminent death.  I jump up, following the old wizard as Thorin grabs for his sword, finally recognizing the danger he is in.  Gandalf, surprising the two assassins, slides himself into the seat across from Thorin.  He acts as if no lives are at risk, causing me to chuckle quietly. 

"Mind if I join you?" Gandalf asks the dwarf.  However, before he can respond, the wizard signals the for the waitress to bring food, ensuring his spot across from Thorin.  The two shady characters back away from the scene, sensing the dangers hidden under Gandalf's gray cloak.  I take that as my queue to join the wizard and dwarf king.

"I should introduce myself. My name is Gandalf. Gandalf the Grey." As the wizard says this, I sidle up behind Thorin, leaning my head over his shoulder so as to look at him and his now startled face.  He flinches away at the close contact as I laugh, sliding into the seat beside Gandalf.  He sends me a humored look before turning back to the dwarf king of so many stories.

"Oh and this is my lovely assistant, Erudian Houdart," Gandalf informs Thorin. To this I glare as I am not just an assistant.  He makes it seem as though I am just a secretary, doing the paperwork for all his deals.  Never will I be caught doing that, I assure you.

"I prefer the term companion," I speak roughly while sending Gandalf a heated look.  The dwarf just looks at us strangely, as my relationship with the wizard is far from normal.  We are often times at each other's throats, but it is all done in love and humour.

"I know who you are, Wizard, just not the female," Thorin replies, looking shielded from our strange company.  I send him a look of dislike, as I hate being referred to as a mere gender.  At the same time, I do not blame him, as my name is not one to be well known, despite its significance to history.  I am, indeed, the last of my people and intended Queen over them.  But this, Thorin Oakenshield does not know.

"I do have a name you know!" I shout at the infuriating dwarf.  If this is what the adventure is going to be like, I am not going to enjoy it.  Waking up every day to a grumpy-dwarf with bad table manners is not my ideal company, especially if the remainder of the dwarves are anything like this king.  I have yet to spend five minutes with the dwarf and I already want to throttle him.  Valar be with us all.

"Well now! This is a fine chance. What brings Thorin Oakenshield to Bree?"Gandalf asks, ignoring my previous anger, as per usual.  The Gray Wizard often takes it upon himself to restrain my anger and appease tense situations.  This is just one of the things that makes us a dynamic duo of traveling partners.

"Hopefully not the ladies," I mumble under my breath, looking at the questionable men and scandalously-dressed women.  I grimace at their apparel, whether it is just plain dirty or lacking in fabric.  Indeed, the only people who seem to where appropriate clothing are the innkeepers and hobbits.  I restrain myself from joining their company and leaving that of the stubborn dwarf king.