Chapter 64: Family Trees

Chapter 64:

Family Trees

This is a recollection of the destinies of Durins' children, born to the fathers, Thorin Oakenshield, Kili Durin, and Fili Durin. And though these children will never play as large of role as Erudian Houdart, their sacrificial and pure-hearted actions are long remembered in the histories of men, elves, and dwarves.

~~~~~~~~~~~Fili Durin and Palo Houdart~~~~~~~~~~~

Thren, the first child of this couple, is a short Phoenician of grey eyes and blonde hair. She often takes upon the role as protector over her siblings, finding within herself a natural instinct of caretaking, rather than fighting. By the time of the Fellowship's foundation, her and Gimli, son of Gloin, are married with a child on the way. However, neither of these reminders keep Gimli at bay, as he takes off on the adventure of his life, Thren's support the whole way.

An exemplification of Thren Durin:

"Do you worry for Gimli, taking on the evils of Middle Earth and all?" I ask my cousin, looking into her eyes with a look of concern. And though I expect fear to linger in the small heart of hers, she simply laughs at my words, as if I am replaying one of Frerin's pranks.

"Not really," she explains with her effervescent smile. "I mean, even if he were to find himself weaponless, his pigheadedness could surely wipe out hundreds." Her laugh of before erupts from my own chest, knowing her words to be true. Gimli is surely the child of Gloin, an attribute my mother consistently complains about.

Cashel is the second-born daughter of Fili and Palo, characterized by darker blonde hair and grey eyes. She is more excitable than her siblings, quickly finding a place within the heart of Frodo Baggins. Indeed, she is a warrior unlike most who takes it upon herself to join the Fellowship as it's seventh member. When the Uruk-hai attack the Fellowship after Boromir's betrayal, she follows Frodo into the cesspits of Mordor, helping him rid the world of Sauron's presence. She is a hero in the eyes of all, loyal to a fault.

An exemplification of Cashel Durin:

"If I marry Frodo, you will be my cousin and aunt-in-law!" Cashel remarks with a large grin, contrasting to her horrifying words. How can she take this notion happily, as I am suddenly feeling nauseous.

"Please don't ever mention that again...I am horrified. It is almost as disturbing as the notion that Rue is Fili's aunt and sister, by marriage," I exclaim, a shiver crawling down my back. Sometimes I really dislike Cashel's optimism.

Denzel is the third daughter of this pairing, looking unlike the remainder of her family and more like a child of Kili. Her brown eyes and medium brown hair set her apart from the rest, though she is a warrior like her sister. Denzel's feisty personality and stubborn tendencies have a strange effect on the men around her, though they capture the heart of Rohan's Eomer. Not a part of the original Fellowship, she comes across this group at the Battle of Pelennor Fields, followed by her first meeting with the nephew of the late King Theoden. It is said to be love at first sight, though their courting is postponed until the destruction of the Ring, just days later.

An exemplification of Denzel Durin:

What is with you and Sidel?" Ruelin asks eagerly and with a slight disgust. "In love with human males! They're greedier than the Iron Hill dwarves."

"Tall guys are a catch, cousin. Must I remark on your princess over there?" Denzel responds, pointing to Legolas who awaits Ruelin's attention. I honestly cannot understand what my cousin sees in the elf prince, other than his magnificent hair and long legs.