An Extended Scene: I

An Extended Scene:

I didn't go to Bree to "pick up some ladies"

~~~~~~~~~~~~Thorin Oakenshield's Point of View~~~~~~~~~~~~

It almost happened too quickly, with two assassins on their way and a wizard sliding into the seat opposite my own figure, effectively saving me from making a scene. To be certain, I could've taken on the two human-blockheads, but that does not mean I could defeat them all. Indeed, I do believe killing a human in a human establishment may lead to more trouble. And thus, I am grateful for the wizard's appearance across from me, not that I'd ever admit it out loud.

"Mind if I join you?" Gandalf asks me, though I sincerely doubt that he is asking permission. Of course, I have never met this old figure, but as the heir to Erebor's throne, I know a great deal about his travels and excursions. His surprise entrances are famous in these lands, though it is none the less shocking at this time. Additionally, that comfort he holds around strangers must be an understatement as he goes about ordering food from the waitress.

"I should introduce myself. My name is Gandalf. Gandalf the Grey," the wizard remarks, his eyes boring into my own before diverting to the side. Confused, I turn my head in the slightest bit only to see a hooded figure leaning over my shoulder. I mentally curse myself as I flinch away at the contact, prompting the mysterious figure to laugh and slide into a seat next to the old man.

"Oh and this is my lovely assistant, Erudian Houdart" Gandalf informs me, though I pay more attention to the grunt sounding from the cloaked figure next to him.

"I prefer the term companion," the figure speaks, shocking me as the voice resonates in a feminine tone. Peering towards the shortened female, the light from the fire behind me reveals no features on her face. Instead, a strange and heavenly light glows from beneath the fabric, though it is not enough to reveal anything about this female.

"I know who you are, wizard, just not the female" I reply, nonchalance hiding my natural curiosity as I come upon the strange company. It would be a sign of weakness to express my curiosity in such a manner.

"I do have a name you know!" the woman, Erudian, shouts in bitterness. I send her a less than humoured gaze, turning back to the wizard who is surely more important than this woman. Why he is traveling with a female, I haven't the slightest clue. But I already have an aching dislike of her attitude.

"Well now! This is a fine chance. What brings Thorin Oakenshield to Bree?"
Gandalf asks, ignoring my previous glare at the woman.

"Hopefully not the ladies," she remarks, a slight whisper under her breath. I roll my eyes at the notion of this woman, seeing as these commoners are unworthy of the attention they demand, and especially unfit, seeing as they are human. If I came to this town for the ladies, I'd surely have a wife at this moment.

"I received word that my father had been seen wandering the Wilds near Dunland. I went looking, and found no sign of him" I reply to Gandalf's question. My sadness at the lost hope fails to shine through my cold exterior, a look I've mastered over the trying previous century.

"Thorin, it's been a long time since anything but rumor was heard of Thrain" Gandalf replies, looking at me with a compassion and pity that I strongly despise. Hope is not lost in this matter, and Gandalf needs to stop acting like it is.

"He still lives; I am sure of it" I remark defensively. At that moment, the waitress from earlier returns with Gandalf's plate of food. Erudia quickly goes about grabbing a piece of bread off the plate, popping it into her mouth. It is this motion, however, that gives me the slightest view of the woman across from me, her lips plump and pink. That is all I see, and I am surprised that I want to know more of her after such a simple glance.