Chapter 28 Catch a Mongoose with a Mole

Background music 🎶.

"Well, well. Look what the cat dragged in. Zhang's dirty street urchin," Paige mocked Holden Lee unmercifully with folded arms. "And just when I needed a dummy to beat the pulp out of." She cracked her knuckles which Holden eyed in disdain.

"Don't even try. I'm not base enough to take on a chick, tempting though it is," he scoffed.

"Oh ho, you better not have just called me chick!" Paige raged, looking at him like a cat ready to pounce as she rolled up her sleeves. Payton slammed Holden against the wall with a murderous glint in his gaze.

"You'll be getting a fistful from me before you even think about touching her," he growled at Holden. Brook stepped forward and grabbed him by the collar, dragging him away from Payton's grasp. He glared at Holden with blue flames of vengeance in his eyes.

"How did you find us, Lee?!" He demanded, squeezing his collar. Holden snorted.

"You drive the flashiest car in the country and expect to blend in? Thought you people were supposed to be smart." Brook looked like he would break Holden's neck but Soriano stepped in and placed a hand on Brook's shoulder before turning his attention to Holden.

"You tracked us here for a reason. I wanna know what that is," he said in a low calm voice, filled with deadly insistence, a quality he developed as a cop through long interrogations of convicts.

"Sure. Let go of me and I'll talk," Holden sneered at Brook, who was still clutching him by the neck. Brook threw him back, finally letting go of his collar. Holden took his time and dusted himself off while everyone stared at him with cautious suspense.

"Well?" Soriano prompted him. Holden threw him a look of insolence but lowered his gaze in submission at Soriano's piercing stare.

"I've quit the Mao You. You can say I've defected," he answered. Everyone stared at him in disbelief. Paige scoffed sarcastically.

"Yeah, and I'm secretly an FBI agent. If that's the best story you can come up with, that's the biggest BS of the decade."

"Give me a chance to explain and I'll prove it," Holden snapped. Michelle glared at him.

"Even if you had defected, why come to us?" She asked. "This might be another one of Zhang's tricks to try and infiltrate us. After all, you're the one who tried to kill Brook." Her tone became hard near the end.

"That was all Zhang," Holden said at once. "Believe me pretty, I may be an outlaw, but I'm no criminal. And I'm not likely to do anything that might land me in the big house for twenty to thirty."