Chapter 3 What Comes Next

After a wild tangle with the three men, Paige and Payton rounded them up and held them down

"So," Paige said, flipping back her hair from her hot sweaty neck, "You maggots want to talk now?"

"I should warn you, fellas, she doesn't play a good bad cop. So unless you want a heel mark in places where it'll hurt for the rest of your life, you'll talk." Payton said brushing his fingernails casually. The men snorted.

"You think we came alone? We're not that stupid." The man on the left said a leer on his face as he looked up at Paige.

"Could've fooled me. Only idiots go around blowing up innocent people for fun. And it doesn't look like your cavalry's here yet so talk." She said.

"You're one to talk, you little arsonist. Don't think we don't know you're the one who blew up Black Boulder." The man in the middle said.

"Wow, did you rookies figure that out all by yourself?" Paige asked in a taunting voice. Payton clutched her shoulder pulling her back. She glanced at him and he gave her a tiny shake of the head.

"You and those Inferno Ghosts are to blame for everything! But you can't run forever. You think you can live comfortably now that they're behind bars? After everything you people did? Pah! Your time is up. You'll never get away with what you did." The man in the middle said.

"Like you, people didn't blow up stuff. You know what? I thought you goons had a big boss sitting on a pile of money handing you out checks for petty arson jobs. But no, you're just a bunch of lowlifes gone astray." Paige taunted. The man in the middle sneered.

"You thought you could get information out of us? Go play cop somewhere else, bitch. While you can. Your days are numbered." Paige's eyes narrowed and she was just about to step on the man's hand when Payton did it first. The man let out an agonized yell.

"I should've broken your teeth – then you wouldn't have been able to run that dirty mouth of yours." He said. Paige smirked at him.

"Told you not to go easy on them." She said.

"You think you won because you took us down?" The man on the right asked with a sly smile. Payton stepped forward to hit him but suddenly stopped.

"You hear that?" Paige asked him. Payton pricked up her ears and swore.

"Dammit, those are their reinforcements. We gotta go." He said, bounding towards a back exit. Paige hit the man in the middle once before following him.

"After all that, we got nothing!" he said.

"Forget it, that mission was bust the moment you set foot in that bar," Paige said tonelessly. She made her way ahead of Payton to the fire escape outside a window and started to climb out. The sound of gunshots rang out from inside the building.

"Faster!" Payton shouted, swinging down the fire escape and overtaking Paige. He reached the ground before she did and held out his arms.

"Jump!" he said. Paige let go of the fire escape she had been climbing down from and fell two stories below into Payton's arms.