Chapter 1 Not a Dream

Michelle's fingers ran through the long strands of Brook's hair for what must have been the hundredth time

Michelle's fingers ran through the long strands of Brook's hair for what must have been the hundredth time. They were curled up in her bed in the dorm together, Brook's arm laying lightly in the curve of her waist. The bedside clock showed two a.m. and all was quiet outside. Only their hushed voices filled the room.

"Say it again," Michelle said. Brook grinned softly.

"I love you, Michelle." Michelle closed her eyes letting the words echo in her mind.

"You're really here you're not a dream." She said, trying to convince herself.

"I guess I don't need a comb anymore." Brook joked, taking her hand out of his hair and placing it on his bare chest. She opened her eyes to gaze with tenderness at him.

"I didn't just imagine the last few hours, did I?" she asked. Brook gave her a quick peck on the lips.

"If you did, you don't have a very active imagination. I imagined things much more differently" his silky tone alerted Michelle to his thoughts and she gave him a shove. He slipped off the pillow and almost fell off the bed.

"Hey, your bed isn't big enough for that!" he said laughing. "Why don't they make college dorm beds a little less tiny?"

"Because they're only made for one person. I'm breaking the rules by letting you share it with me in the first place." Michelle replied smugly.

"Lucky me. But I'm comfortable with cramped quarters so I don't mind squeezing in with you." Michelle smiled at that.

"After nine months, seeing you is like waking up from a nightmare." She said in a more somber tone.

"It was hard for me too, Michelle. Not being able to see you touch you" his finger ran across her jawline and down her neck, "If it weren't for Soriano I wouldn't be here right now."

"Remind me to thank him. Does he like cake?" Brook laughed.

"What ex-cop doesn't like dessert?"

"Good, then I'll bake one and send it to him ASAP."

"That's a nice thought and all, but for now why don't you focus on us?" Brook said, trailing his fingers up and down her neck, fiddling with the edge of her shirt collar.

"I'm just trying to figure it all out. Do you have any idea how crazy I went, not knowing anything for nine months?!" Michelle whisper-shouted.

"I know it was hard, but I wanted to wrap things up before coming to you. That way there wouldn't be anything standing between us – no more Jackson, no more Ghosts, and no more jail time." Michelle raised her hand and placed it on the side of Brook's face.

"Why didn't anyone else contact me? Paige came to visit me months ago but I haven't seen anyone since then. You guys completely cut me off" Michelle finished in a hurt tone. Brook pulled her closer to his chest trying to comfort her.