Chapter 35 Vengeance

"We're stopping

"We're stopping. Why are we stopping?" Holden asked Michelle when she slowed her car down and parked on the side of the road. "We're still miles from your chief's location."

"Jett's bugged my car," she replied, getting out of the car. "I need to get rid of that bug or else he'll track me with it." She hunted around her car, looking for the bug anywhere on the surface.

"And you thought about it now?" Holden asked in disbelief. "Check the inside, the outside is too dicey a place to stick it. It could get knocked off."

"Fine." Michelle returned inside, looking all over. "Hey, didn't Jett put a tracker on you too? Shoot, I almost forgot—" she stopped when Holden lifted his jeans to show his bare ankles.

"I snapped it off," he said shortly. "I'm not some kind of probation convict and won't stand for that kind of stuff."

"Hmm, I suppose that worked out well..." Michelle mumbled and returned to her hunt. Holden watched her for a moment before helping her search.

"Look, pretty—"

"Don't call me that," Michelle snapped abruptly.

"Then what am I supposed to call you? We're not on a first-name basis," Holden grumbled.

"Patterson," Michelle said firmly. Holden rolled his eyes.

"Fine. Look, Patterson, I hope you have a plan for when you find your chief. If he's with Zhang, I don't want to get involved. Twice as much if he's met Cross. The man's after blood."

"Then you shouldn't have come," Michelle scolded him. "If you were gonna wimp out at the last minute, you shouldn't have tagged along."

"I'm not wimping out, I'm just cautioning you to be careful," Holden said in a serious tone. "If Zhang doesn't kill me, your boyfriend will if he finds out you came to harm while with me." Michelle gave a humorless laugh.

"You don't have to worry about Brook, I fully intend to get us back unharmed. Yes, found it." She paused and bent under her seat to pull out the tracking bug Jett had placed. She opened her window and threw it out.

"They'll still be able to track it here," Holden commented. Michelle started her car and hit the accelerator.

"Not after this," she said, and ran her car over the tracker, smashing it to pieces. Holden exhaled.

"Some call it brave, others call it stupid. Either way, we'll see how this plays out."