Chapter 20 Saboteurs

Soundtrack for this chapter.↖️

The little hotel the crew was staying in for the night was small but cozy. After checking in, they all went off to their designated rooms, Michelle and Brook sharing a room as usual. Brook knew Michelle was still upset about everything – finding out who her parents were, what had happened to them, discovering that Soriano had known and kept it all a secret from her... it must have been hard to process it all. She hadn't said a word throughout the drive and had retreated to the bedroom after they arrived at the hotel. Brook had been torn between two decisions all day; he wasn't sure whether to leave her alone and give her space or go in and try to comfort her. Finally, he decided on the latter.

"Michelle? Can I come in?" He knocked on the door and tentatively opened it. He peeked in and saw her curled up like a little ball on the bed, her head on her knees. She looked so lost and lonely that he immediately swung open the door and entered the room, not regretting checking up on her. He joined her on the bed.

"Michelle? Baby?" He called softly. She didn't move; her eyes were devoid of tears but she had such a desolate look on her face that it made his heart ache for her. He touched her gently.

"Michelle, I'm here if you need me," he said with tenderness. Wordlessly she seemed to acknowledge his presence and leaned her head on his shoulder. He wrapped his arms around her, holding her close. After a minute of drawing comfort from his body, she spoke.

"I never really knew them and yet I miss them so much." Brook rubbed her back soothingly.

"I know baby, I know," he whispered. He felt her body shake and knew she was crying silently. A moment later, her tears rolled down his hand. He wiped her face gently with his thumb.

"Why does it hurt so much?" Michelle cried, her sorrow-filled voice causing Brook's own eyes to fill up.

"I know there's nothing I can say to make you feel better, love, but whatever you need to let out, just let it out," he said desperately. Michelle broke down in earnest, weeping into his chest.

"I feel so guilty! I never even tried to look for them all this time, I should have at least tried to find out about them! Now all I have are these painful memories of what happened to them."

"Michelle, please don't beat yourself up like this, I'm sure they wouldn't have wanted that." Brook pleaded with her. She looked up at him, her chocolate eyes misty with tears as they met his blue flame ones.

"They loved you. And if they were here today, they'd tell you just how much they love you and how proud they are of the woman you've become. They won't want you to grieve like this." Brook paused as Michelle's tears subsided a little.