Chapter 24 A Bad Boy's Good Heart

"Whoa! Look at him go! Looks like Havens brought his A-game today

"Whoa! Look at him go! Looks like Havens brought his A-game today." The commentator kept up a stream of updates on Brook at the third stage of the NNC. The third stage was a solo car drift trial where each car had to navigate a difficult terrain filled with roadblocks and skillfully if not speedily make it to the finish line. It was a lot easier than battling with other cars but not any less exciting as the racers had to show off their prowess. It also took place in broad daylight making it less eerie than usual but the crew and crowds standing by the pits near the shade of the pitched-up tents still watched the jumbotron with keen excitement.

All except Michelle; her stomach kept twisting in knots every time she saw Brook make a perilous move either dodging sharp rocks or cutting past spike strips. Any obstacle still posed a threat in her opinion, especially with the image of what happened at the last race still etched in her mind. Even though everything got sorted out over the accident and Brook hadn't been kicked out of the NNC, they still hadn't found out who had sabotaged the Ford; Michelle was worried it might happen again. She continued to watch him with her heart in her mouth.

"Looks like the GT is in ship-shape," Reece commented.

"Course it is, we triple-checked it!" Jett said.

"No one had any chance of sabotaging it this time," Payton added. "So you don't have to look like you'll never see him again, Michelle," He addressed her on seeing her harrowed face. "Because you will."

"I know, I'm just on edge since... never mind."

"Relax angel face, our boy's safe out there today." Paige slung her arm around Michelle in assurance. She nodded but the gnawing worry still wouldn't leave her heart. To make matters worse, Zhang and a bunch of his men walked past them to cross the pits to the other side. Zhang saw Michelle and gave her a menacing stare.

"You look stressed, sweetheart," He simpered in a dangerously sweet voice. "Find out who messed with your boyfriend's car yet? Don't strain yourselves." Michelle's eyes widened in horror as he walked away.

"That explains it then, that mongrel was behind it," Paige said, gritting her teeth.

"I'll deal with him, teach him a lesson about messing with my kids," Soriano said, rolling his sleeves up and clenching blue-veined fists.

"Whoa, chief, don't do anything stupid, okay?" Leslie warned him.

"Don't worry, I'll just give him a good talking-to that'll make his ears burn," Soriano said and stomped after Zhang. Michelle felt sick upon finding out who sabotaged Brook.

"Michelle, are you okay?" Jett asked from nearby.

"Yeah, you look kinda flushed," Leslie said, looking with concern at her. Payton addressed her.

"Don't let what that," he called Zhang a foul name, "said upset you, he managed to get passed us once but he won't again."

"Yeah... and I'm alright, it's just the heat," she said, wiping her forehead.