Chapter 4 Surprises

Cactus Springs, a little town in the north valleys of Nevada was a sleepy little hollow with quaint houses and a suburban atmosphere

Cactus Springs, a little town in the north valleys of Nevada was a sleepy little hollow with quaint houses and a suburban atmosphere. Michelle's yellow McLaren had no chance of blending in with the sparsely populated roads and drew quite a few stares as it drove along. Michelle sat in the passenger seat beside Brook as she had let him drive, nervously twiddling her thumbs. Brook's surprising suggestion earlier was still ringing in her head and a mixture of excitement and apprehension had been coursing through her since then.

"So? What do you say, Michelle? Will you move in with me?" He had asked her. For a moment she couldn't believe her ears. That Brook, her boyfriend, was actually asking her to move in with him.

"Are you serious?" She asked, blinking at him. He suddenly looked anxious, worried that she might say no.

"Er, yes?" He said, rubbing his neck. "I wanted us to be together from now on, Michelle. I've been away from you for too long and I want us to take the next step in our lives. I want to start my life with you, Michelle, if you agree." He sounded vulnerable near the end. Michelle broke out into a wide smile and threw her arms around him enthusiastically.

"Yes! Of course, I agree, Brook! Oh, this is too good to be true! I love you, Brook!" She smacked a wet kiss on his lips, startling him. He laughed and lifted her off the ground, spinning her around.

"Phew, I'm glad you said yes." He said in relief. Michelle laughed as he put her down.

"I'll need to tell Leah and Brynn... call the moving van and change my address... where exactly are we going and when do we leave?"

"My parents' place in North Valley and we'll leave right away."

An hour later, they arrived at a rustic but sturdy-looking ranch-style house, quite apart from the main suburb in a private corner at the end of the town.

"It's so pretty!" Michelle exclaimed as they climbed up the porch.

"My dad bought it when he married my mom - it was sort of a honeymoon home for them," Brook explained as he took out Michelle's bags from the trunk. She reddened a little at the thought of 'honeymooning' here - and what Brook had in mind for them.

"I like it. It's got that homey feel to it." Michelle said as she walked inside. She took in the comfortable Spanish-style furniture, the colorful welcoming rug on the floor, and the pretty woven tapestry of the Lady of Guadalupe on the wall.

"Beautiful." She said, running her fingers over the smooth material.

"My mom decorated the place - dad was terrible at that kind of stuff. All he knew about was the inside of a car." Brook said. Michelle giggled.

"Like you?" She teased. He grinned sheepishly.

"Yeah. There are two bedrooms of course, so if you wanna take one, you can unpack whatever you need in there." He said. Michelle sidled up to him and ran her finger up his chest.