Chapter Twenty-Nine

I have to bite back the mile-wide smile growing on my face as I scurry after him, careful not to fall in my heels. The two of us are the last to make it out of the room, but luckily the bottleneck effect in the hallway helps hide our brief, secret meeting. When we finally make it into the dinning room, my eyes go wide at the copious number of plates and utensils laid out in front of each chair. I really did not think this night through.

"Ah, Harry, come join us!" Uncle Ben suddenly appears next to us. "I'd love for you to chat with Mr. Williams about all of the plans we've been cooking up." Uncle Ben looks from Harry to me, and adds, "Oh, why Hazel! I can't believe I haven't run into you yet. You look lovely."

"Thank you Uncle Ben," I greet him with polite kiss on the cheek, "You look very dapper yourself."

"I'd invite you to sit with us as well, but I think your Grandmother has other plans," Uncle Ben gestures to the opposite end of the incredibly long table to find Gran waving foolishly at me.

"Hazel, my darling!" Gran's voice struggles to ring out over the crowd. "Come this way!" I wince slightly looking at the crowd of women who surround her. They all seem to be giggling and laughing while comparing the different jewels they sport. I think I'd rather sit with the men.

"Odds of me getting out of that one?" 

"I'd say pretty slim," he replies with a chuckle.

"Hazel!! Oh Hazel!" Gran continues to coo. I turn around and give her a forced smile and a wave, hoping that will settle her.

"Ah, come now, it can't be that bad." Uncle Ben sympathetically smiles. "Besides, we've got to put up with old man Winston over there," he adds quietly. "Last year, he lost his dentures in the soup." 

Harry and I both stifle a laugh as we look over at the old man. He appears to be a delightfully cranky fellow, snapping at Jack for something.

"See, that's the kind of entertainment I'm looking for," I laugh.

"Don't you worry, we'll make sure you have a good time."

"Hazel, my goodness, can't you hear my calling?" Gran asks, having risen from her spot to come physically drag me over.

"So sorry, mother, that would be my fault," Uncle Ben replies.

"Not a worry, not a worry," Gran waves her hand, dismissing Uncle Ben. "Hazel, come along now, there are some lovely women I'd like you to get to know." As Gran whisks me down towards the end of the table, I look back longingly at Harry. Harry doesn't notice, already busy shaking hands with other businessmen. He keeps saying how he feels uncomfortable around these people, but I smile at how naturally he gets on with everyone- it's genuinely a talent I wish I had.

"Hazel, I'm going to have you sit right here next to me and the lovely Eliza." I look over, eyes wide at my dinner company for the evening. Eliza smiles brightly up at me, but I look away, already feeling ashamed for my impulsive backlash from before.

As everyone takes their seat, and I settle into my own spot, Eliza leans in and whispers. "I think you may be my new most favorite person."

"Pardon?" I look up at her.

"I don't think I've ever seen anyone other than my father silence my brother like you did." She laughs as she takes a glass of wine. I look up to see if Gran can hear any part of this conversation, but she seems to be engaged in some deep conversation about center pieces with the woman on the other side of her.

"I'm actually a bit sorry for before, I shouldn't have-" 

Eliza cuts me off with the wave of her hand, the thin diamond bracelet on her wrist glitterings as it catches the light.