Chapter Thirty Seven

My spirits restored, I make my way into the kitchen to see what I can find for breakfast. The kitchen is less busy than it was yesterday, but there's still a bustle as a handful of people wash and clean an array of pots and pans. They look a little surprised when I make my way in, but they quickly help me get a plate of food and send me on my way to the dining room.

While I usually feel a bit lonely in this empty house, I welcome the ample space this morning, loving both the silence and the solitude it affords me. I settle in quietly, untucking a newspaper from my arm that I grabbed from the kitchen. Before I can take a bite though, a smooth and easy voice ruins my peaceful moment.

"Good morning, Princess."

My mouth still open as the fork lingers in the air, my eyes fly up to see Jack swagger towards the table. He smiles boastfully as he takes a seat across from me. Annoyance instantaneously floods my veins.

"Why are you here?" I snap.

"Well that's not very polite now is it," he playfully pouts, his smile returning as he thanks the gal who brings him his breakfast. She smiles nervously and giggles as she turns away, and I scoff out loud as I watch how his eyes follow her behind as she leaves the room.

"What?" he asks, tossing his hands out as if he's actually surprised by my disdain.

"Do you have no shame?"

Jack muses the question for a moment, before leaning forward to grab his tea. "No," he says with a shrug. I roll my eyes and lean back in my chair, too bothered to eat anymore.

"You know what I think?" he asks pompously. I reply with crossed arms and a glare. "I think we should go out sometime."

A loud and involuntary laugh bursts from my chest.

"What?" he asks, confusion etched into his brow.

"You can't be serious," I laugh at him. When he stares unfalteringly, I ask, "You're serious?"

"As a heart attack."

"Absolutely not," I scoff folding my arms.

"Why not?" he laughs.

"Why would we? We clearly don't get along."

"We don't get along- yet," he holds up a finger at me. "And really Princess, that one's on you," he casually adds as I roll my eyes for what feels like the billionth time. "Besides" he continues, nonchalantly taking a sip of his drink, "I'm quite taken with you."

"Is that so," I mutter, pushing the eggs on my plate with my fork.

"I mean, I can't say I've seen too many girls shimmy up the side of a building at one in the morning in an evening gown," he says plainly, but my stomach instantly turns into a knot as I drop the fork nervously.

"What are you talking about?" I ask, although I already know I'm caught. Jack cocks an eyebrow as his smile tucks to the side. "I just went for a walk," I answer in reply to his doubtful expression.

"Mhmm," he says. "Well, you just tell farm boy I think it's rude not to walk a girl to the front door- or window I suppose?" he chuckles taking a bite of his fruit.

"He is not rude!" I begin to protest, both hands hitting the table. Jack's eyes light up at my out burst and I immediately shut my mouth. My defense says way more than I want Jack to know. My cheeks rise with heat from anger and some other feeling that I can't quite figure out as Jacks smiles wickedly at me.

"Go out with me," he says like a command.

"No," I retort.

"Oh come on now, Princess. what's the harm?" What's the harm? The harm is I may actually stab myself with this fork if I have to spend another moment with you, my brain screams.