Chapter Forty-Three

Hazel's P.O.V

The rain falls in sheets, drumming against the windows as thunder rumbles far off in the distance. It's wild and exciting, but it's nothing compared to the thrill of Harry's sweet kisses. Nothing in the world could take my focus off of him- not the pouring of rain, the flashes of lightening, not even the howling wind. The storm outside is merely a distant melody set to the rhythm of our beating hearts. My body, my mind, my soul- they're his, and nothing else matters.

Our slow and magical kiss burns into something more urgent and more desperate as we cling to each other. Without breaking our kiss, Harry rises and pushes me back against the bed. I collapse into the pillows as he steadies himself with one hand, the outline of his strong arms in the moonlight making me gulp. He pulls away just enough so that his body barely hovers above mine. My already pounding heart feels like it might fly away as my eyes slowly run up his long torso.

Suddenly, I'm overcome with dizzying nervousness. A tidal wave of self conscious thoughts comes tumbling across my mind, all reminding me of how terribly inexperienced I am. I have never once been this intimate before. I mean good gosh almighty, Harry's the only boy I've ever even really kissed. Well, technically that isn't true, my brain reminds me, but after experiencing the way Harry's mouth fits into mine, any kiss Billy McKee ever gave me officially does not count.

"Hazel?" Harry calls to me in a whisper. His voice is thick and heavy like the richest of chocolates and it sends my already knotted stomach into a flurry.

"Mhmm?" 

I have no clue what I'm supposed to do, and based on Harry's expert abilities, I'm pretty sure he is not in the same boat as me on that one, which of course presents another whole other set of worries.

"Hazel!" Harry playfully yells under his breath. He lightly nudges his nose against mine bringing a smile back to my face. "What on earth are you thinking about, sweetheart?"

I close my eyes tightly as I feel my cheeks burn. I'm so embarrassed that he must be able to hear the pounding of my jittery heart. "Nothing," I lie.

Harry lets out a heavy breath. I open my eyes, but I'm still too nervous to look up at him. I can only focus my gaze on the way his chest rises and falls. After a moment, his free hand gently cups my face, turning me up to face him. His wild eyes come crashing into mine and just as I feared, they take my breath away.

"Tell me," he whispers. His eyes stare down with an edge of seriousness, but with an intimate focus that could only be heightened by lust. 

"It's just- I don't know what I'm doing."

He smiles sheepishly.

"Forgive me. I know I shouldn't be here like this." His breath is hot against my skin and I bite my lip.

Cautiously, I reach up and lightly place my hands on his chest. I can feel his heartbeat racing through his shirt and it drives me wild to think that I might have any bit of an effect on him. Harry's eyes flutter open, blinking twice as he stares down intently at me.

"Never," I whisper up to him with a small smile. The fretful lines of his face soften as a dimpled grin takes over his mouth.

"I love you, Harry. I want you here," I say. "I- I need you here."

I can't stand the distance from his mouth. I tilt my face up to capture his lips again. Gently lacing my fingers through his small tufts of curls, I slowly scratch the back of his neck as I keep his mouth pressed to mine. Harry lets out a low moan that makes my toes curl. He slows our kiss, opening his mouth just enough for his tongue to caress mine. My stomach lurches at the new sensation as it awakens an even deeper lust than I thought possible.