Chapter Sixty-Four

Hazel's P.O.V

I let out a heavy sigh. A limp curl flutters in front of my left eye, but returns to its inconvenient place. It's nearly Christmas and I've hardly had any chances to spend any time with Harry. And with Gran's recent diagnosis, neither of us have thought it was wise to ask for her permission to let us properly date one another.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

I look up and grimace at the sight of Jack sauntering into the sitting room.

"You'd pay double not to hear them, I think." I retort.

"That steamy, Princess?" 

Blood rushes to my face. I twist my gaze to stare out the window, but from the corner of my eye, I catch Jack staring at me with a cheeky grin.

"Marvelous, I've found you both," Gran says, entering the room.

"Gran, you're supposed to be resting upstairs," I tell her. The doctor had said she was under strict orders to rest, but as her injuries from the fall began to heal, it was becoming harder for her to take her other diagnosis more seriously.

"I'm supposed to be avoiding stress," she corrects, "which, with Christmas right around the corner, I'm finding rather hard to do."

"How is it that I may be of service, Mrs. Williams?" Jack asks, leaning back in his chair. With his long legs stretched in front of him, I can't help but notice his good looks. 

"I have two more days until I leave for London. If there's anything I can do," he continues with irritating sweetness,"Why call me your happy servant."

Jack catches me staring and lifts one brow, a hint of a smile resting on his lips. I cross my arms and look away, huffing at the size of his ever growing ego.

"Goodness, Hazel! Isn't our Jack here such a dream." 

A hard laugh escapes my lungs. Gran shoots me a glare while Jack just grins. 

"Sorry," I say, clearing my throat. "Just a tickle..." I wave my hand about while pretending to cough instead of laugh.

Gran eyes my silently for a second, before saying, "Well, Jack, I do have an enormous favor to ask you."

"By all means."

"You know of our annual Christmas party."

"Of course. I've been going since I was a young boy."

"Well, seeing as we're no longer settled in London, and seeing as I'm not myself this winter, I was wondering if we could perhaps through a joint party."

"Why, that's a splendid idea." Jack smiles.

"You sure it wouldn't be too much trouble?" Gran asks, her hands clasped tightly together.

"No, not at all. I'd be happy to have it at our home in London and I'm sure my mother and sister would be thrilled to plan."

"Well, I wouldn't want them to do everything. I'll connect them with my usual catering staff and entertainment. And of course we'd foot the bill."

Jack waves his hand. 

"We'll work it all out. It'd be an honour to help this way.

"Well how do you like that?" Gran exclaims. "Hazel! We'll have to take you shopping. I'll have Louis take you into town so you can grab a few things."

"Whatever for?" I ask confused.

"You're going to London, darling! You can't go dressed like a country gal!" The insult stings just for a moment. "Besides, I need something to fun to look forward to like new ."