Chapter Fifty-Four

Harry and I flutter after one another like silly little lovebirds, but despite all of our fun, I'm unable to shake the feeling that this place- that this moment- is all too preciously finite. It only worsens when the wintry sun fades into the quiet hum of twilight. Anxiety sinks its teeth into my bones just as sharply as the chill of night bites at my skin.

"What's going on in there?" Harry asks. The corner of his mouth lifts into a little smirk as he taps just above his temple.

"Nothing, really," I say with a small laugh. I fix my gaze on the wet, pebbly road as we head back to the fair. It doesn't do very much to distract myself from the reality of returning to Gran and Grandfather. 

"Oh, come now." He spins around and begins to walk backwards. "You may be good for a game of rummy, but you've yet to prove yourself to be much of a poker player."

"You've figured me all out, have you?"

"Maybe not entirely." He pauses for a moment, and adds, "But I see you."

My knees melt. 

"You get that crinkle in between eyes when you're worried," he continues. I instinctively reach up as if I could wipe my worry away. Harry laughs brightly making his dimples deepen.

"Face it, Roses. The jig's up. Now, spill."

"Alright, alright," I relinquish. "It's nothing, really."

"But..."

"But... I suppose I'm just rather sorry to say goodbye to the day." I cautiously look up at him, afraid of a repeat of this morning.

Harry keeps walking backwards, but his brow raises as his gaze drifts to the side of the road. He looks back at me, and flatly says, "So what you mean to say is that I'm a pretty great date."

He grins devilishly as I let out a loud huff.

"I think you mean pretty cheeky."

Harry lets out a gleeful laugh as I try to walk past him. He catches me by the arm and tugs me to him. 

"You know it's been nothing but grand having you all to myself, today," he says. His kind eyes flicker with a frankness that still startles me even after all this time.

I nearly drown in his gaze when a cold speckle of surprise lands on the tip of my nose. I look up at the sky to see a flurry a snowflakes swirling overhead. They dance in the misty light of the nearly set sun, sparkling like a thousand falling twinkling stars. 

"I'm proper buzzing for summer," Harry laughs as he looks up at the sky. 

"Why? This is perfect."

"Because in summer I'll finally have a moment of peace from worrying about you getting sick."

My heart leaps at the thought of him planning a future with me in it.

"I mean honestly, what kinda girl are you for showin' up in the middle of winter and-"

Without thinking, I spring to the tops of my toes and kiss him. Harry doesn't miss a beat. His hands sweep tightly across my back and keep me pressed against him as his mouth captures mine. The snow whirls around us, but I'm warm and safe in his arms. 

"I'm gonna fix this," Harry says as he pulls away. He rests his forehead against mine.

"I don't understand," I breathlessly reply. 

"I can't have you going back tomorrow thinking that I'm not going to make this right for us. No more sneaking off, no more secrets. I'll stop being such a damn chicken and talk to your grandfather. I'm already supposed to meet with him and your uncle on-"