09 - punishment

Now standing in the homestead, Gally placed himself in the middle of the room, looking at the gladers. You were standing next to your boyfriend, slightly in front of him.

Both of your arms were crossed while you were sharing glances with Newt, communicating with him without having to say anything.

"Things are changing. There's no denying that. First, Ben gets stung in broad daylight, and then Alby. And now, our greenie here has taken it upon himself to go into the maze. Which is a clear violation of our rules here." Gally spoke, looking at Newt while saying the last sentence.

"Yeah, but he saved Alby's life." Fry interjected, making Gally frown. "Did he? For three years, we have coexisted with these things and now, you've killed one of them. Who knows what that could mean for us."

His statement made you scoff. "Coexisted? You mean they were slowly killing one glader after the other while everyone but the runners stayed safe in the glade. That isn't coexisting." you said, however, he ignored your statement.

"Well, what do you suggest we do?" Newt asked, placing his hand on your lower back to calm you down.

"He has to be punished."

Different interjections and opinions could be heard wildly throughout the room. "Minho, you were there with him. What do you think?" Newt asked the brunette, who was leaning against one of the walls.

"I think, in all the time we've been here, no one's ever killed a griever before. When I turned tail and ran, this dumb shank stood behind to help Alby. Look, I don't know if he's brave or stupid. But whatever it is, we need more of it. I say we make him a runner."

"A runner? What?"

"Minho, let's not jump the gun here, all right?"

"Thomas! Thomas! Thomas! Tho-"

"If you wanna throw the newbie a parade, that's fine. Go ahead. But if there is one thing that I know about the maze, it's that you do not-" Gally started, when suddenly, the alarm started blaring in the distance.

You, Newt and Gally shared a glance before running towards the box. Gally and Newt opened the door before your boyfriend jumped into the box.

"Newt, what do you see? Do you see it?" someone asked. Newt frowned, looking up at the gladers. "It's another girl." he spoke, confusion in his voice.

"I think she's dead." Newt mumbled, looking at the girl's body. "What's in her hand?" Gally asked. Newt bent down and took a little piece of paper out of her palm.

He opened it before reading what was written on it. "She's the last one. Ever. What the hell does that mean?" he asked. Suddenly, the girl gasped, making Newt stumble back from shock.

"Thomas." she breathed out, her eyes rolling to the back of her head. Everyone stared at Thomas before Gally looked at you. "You still think I'm overreacting?"

Later on, you followed Newt, Thomas, Minho, Clint, and Jeff into the medjack hut. Newt held your hand as you walked past Alby's room, his coughing and grunting could be heard. Seeing one of your closest friends like that wasn't a nice sight to see.

"Jeff, what's going on? What's the matter with her? Why won't she wake up?" Newt bombarded the boy with questions. "Hey, man, I got my job the same way you did." Jeff answered.

Thomas looked at the girl, frowning. She seemed really familiar to both of you. "Well, do you recognize her?" Newt asked, looking at Thomas upon seeing him staring at the girl.

"No." Thomas answered, even though you could tell he lied. "Really? Because she seemed to recognize you." Newt spoke, suspiciously. "I recognize her." you spoke up.

Newt's head turned in your direction. "She's the girl from my dreams." you admitted. His gaze softened upon hearing your words. "What about the note?" Thomas asked, trying to change the subject.

"Yeah, we'll worry about the note later." Newt said, rubbing your lower back with his hand while still looking at the girl. "I think you should worry about it now." you spoke, making Newt look at you.

"We've got enough to deal with at the moment." he said, softly. "They're right, Newt. If the box isn't coming back up, how long do you think we can last?" Jeff asked with worry.

"No one said that. Let's not jump to any conclusions. We'll just- We'll just wait until she wakes up and see what she knows. Somebody's gotta have some answers around here." Newt decided.

"Okay." your brother mumbled before turning to walk away. "And where are you going?" you asked. He turned around before answering "Back into the maze."