20 - drawing attention

"Alice, Barry, Walt, Edgar, Samantha-" Janson said before Thomas spoke up. "I wanna know what's through that door." he commented, looking at Janson.

During the night, he'd apparently seen something that made him mistrust this organization even more. You didn't specifically know what it was, but it truly freaked him out. The only thing he said was that they brought covered bodies into a secluded area.

"Now, we've been over this. You said they were covered up, so you don't know what you saw. It could've been anything under there." Newt tried reasoning with your brother.

His hand was laying on your thigh, drawing circles on your skin with his thumb. "I know exactly what I saw. They were bodies. Aris said they bring in a new batch every night." Thomas argued.

"Who the hell is Aris?" you and Minho asked at the same time, sharing a quick glance. Thomas looked over to the boy you saw the day prior, his hood covering his head again.

"Well, I'm sold." Minho said, sarcastically. "And last but not least, David. Thank you for your attention. Enjoy the rest of your evening." Janson finished, following the assigned kids.

"Okay, until we know anything for certain, we should just keep our heads down and try not to draw any attention to ourselves, all right?" you spoke, directed at Thomas.

Your brother, however, didn't listen and stood up from the table, banging his fists on the metal. He walked towards the door the assigned kids walked out of.

"What is he doing?" Newt asked, watching his every move. "I think he's drawing attention to himself." Fry answered, sarcastically. "You spent too much time with our sarcasm queen, Fry." you said, grinning at Minho's annoyed face.

Thomas wanted to blend in with the kids but was held back by a guard. "Woah, hang on. You weren't called." the guard spoke, lowering his hand from Thomas' chest.

"I know, I'm just gonna be a second." Thomas said, wanting to walk further but he was held back again. "This is a restricted area, kid." the guard grumbled.

"I just wanna see my friend. Can you let me through?" your brother tried again. You slowly stood up and walked towards him, ready to interfere if things got out of hand.

"Get your ass back in that chair." the guard spoke, angrily, poking his finger against Thomas' chest. He acted like he was walking back, only to jump at the two guards.

"Back off!" the guard yelled, pushing Thomas harshly. "What's your problem, man? What the hell, huh?!" Thomas yelled, only to be pushed back again.

You and the guys ran up to him and tried pulling him back. "Why won't you let me see her?!" Thomas screamed. "Control your friend!"

"What's happening here?" Janson asked, pushing everybody apart. "Thomas? I thought we could trust each other. You know we're all on the same team here."

"Are we?" Thomas mumbled. Janson let his head sink in defeat before smirking. "Get them to their bunks."

"Get your asses in there! All of you!" a guard ordered, pushing you into your sleeping quarters. You tripped, almost landing on your knees if it wouldn't have been for Newt catching you.

"What the hell was that about?" Minho asked your brother. "You didn't really think they were just gonna let you through?" Newt asked in bewilderment.

Thomas searched around in his pockets, pulling something out of them. "Nah, of course I didn't." he held up one of the badges that gave access to the doors.

"I'm gonna find out what's on the other side of that door. Newt, they're hiding something. Okay? These people are not who they say they are."

"No, Thomas, you don't know that! The only thing that we do know is that they helped rescue us from WCKD. They gave us new clothes. They gave us food. They gave us a proper bed. Some of us haven't had that in a long time. Some of us a lot longer than others." Newt argued.

You placed your hand on his shoulder, trying to calm him down, when, suddenly, a vent opened and Aris crawled out of it. "Whoa!"

"Hey, Thomas." Aris smiled, looking up at your brother from his position on the floor. "You got it, didn't you?"

"Yeah. Yeah. Let's go." Thomas answered, showing the badge. Newt placed his hands on his hips, looking at Thomas angrily.

"All right, look, maybe you guys are right. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. But I got to find out for sure." Thomas explained, sitting down on the floor to follow Aris.

"Just cover for me. I'll be back as soon as I can." he said, looking at you. "Be careful." you spoke, kissing his cheek before he crawled into the vent.

Newt groaned, standing up from his crouched position in annoyance. "Newt, you're right. Maybe Thomas is being paranoid. But I think we're better safe than sorry." you defended.

Newt looked at you before nodding slightly, sitting down on one of the lower beds. A while later, you were standing in front of the sink, washing your hands when the vents opened again, a distressed Thomas crawling out of them.

"We gotta go. We gotta go right now." Thomas screamed, running up to the door. "What the hell are you talking about?" Fry asked. "What do you mean 'we gotta go'?" Newt wanted to know.

"They're coming. Come on. We gotta go. They're coming for us." Thomas exclaimed, tying a blanket around the door handles. "What happened in there?" Fry asked.

"Thomas, can you just calm down and talk to us?" Newt tried. "She's still alive." your brother spoke. "Who's she? Teresa?"

"Ava."

"Ava? Will you just turn around and talk to us?"

"It's WCKD! It's still WCKD. It's always been WCKD." Thomas explained, grabbing a mattress to barricade the door. "Thomas. What did you see?"