17 - important

It was a blonde woman with blue eyes and a dark red lip stick. She wore white clothing and appeared to be in her fifties.

Hello. My name is Dr. Ava Paige. I'm director of operations of the World Catastrophe Killzone Department. If you're watching this, that means you've successfully completed the Maze Trials. I wish I could be there in person to congratulate you, but circumstances seem to have prevented it. I'm sure by now you must all be very confused, angry, frightened. I can only assure you that everything that's happened to you, everything we've done to you, it was all done for a reason.

In the background, people in lab coats hastily ran around.

You won't remember, but the sun has scorched our world. Billions of lives lost to the fire, famine. Suffering in a global scale.

Pictures of burning cities, houses and trees were shown.

The fallout was unimaginable.

Burned bodies, dozens of them.

What came after was worse. We called it the Flare. A deadly virus that attacks the brain.

A brain with black goo, being dissected by a person.

It is violent, unpredictable, incurable.

A person that seemed to be infected, black veins crawling over the man's body.

Or so we thought. In time, a new generation emerged that could survive the virus. Suddenly, there was a reason to hope for a cure. But finding it would not be easy. The young would have to be tested, even sacrificed, inside harsh environments, where their brain activity could be studied. All in an effort to understand what makes them different, what makes you different. You may not realize it, but you're very important. Unfortunately, your trials have only just begun.

People in lab coats getting shot, others still running around hastily.

As you'll no doubt soon discover, not everyone agrees with our methods. Progress is slow, people are scared. It may be too late for us, for me, but not for you.

Men in tactical gear entering the room, shooting at numerous people.

The outside world awaits. Remember...

Holding a gun to her temple, looking directly into the camera.

...WCKD is good.

She pulled the trigger. You burried your face into Newt's chest, not wanting to see the blonde woman taking her own life. He kissed your temple repeatedly.

Thomas walked up to a room where the woman's body was still placed. Suddenly, a door to a long corridor opened. "Is it over?" Chuck asked.

"She said we were important. Well, what are we supposed to do now?" Newt spoke. "I don't know. But let's get out of here." Thomas whispered before getting interrupted.

"No."

Turning around, you spotted a shaky Gally with a gun in his hand. "Gally?" Thomas said, walking towards the builder. "Don't. He's been stung." Teresa said, holding him back.

You saw the black veins crawling over his neck. "We can't leave." he said, his hands shaking. "We did. Gally, we're out. We're free." Thomas tried calming the blonde.

"Free? You think we're free out there? No. No, there's no escape from this place." Gally said, slowly raising his hand and pointing the gun at your brother.

"Gally, listen to me. You're not thinking straight. You're not. Now, we can help you. Just put down the gun." Thomas spoke.

"I belong to the maze."

"Just put down the gun."

"We all do."

Everything afterwards happened in a blur. Suddenly, a spear was lodged into Gally's chest, the builder sinking to his knees in pain. Minho seemed to be the one who had thrown it.

You turned away, not wanting to see Gally die. You checked Thomas for injuries given that he was the one the builder fired at. "I'm okay." he reassured you.

"Thomas?" Chuck whispered from beside you two. A huge blood stain started soaking his shirt. "Chuck? Chuck! Shit. Shit." Thomas mumbled in shock.

He placed Chuck onto the floor while you held your hands over your mouth in shock. Newt pulled you closer to him, placing your head on his chest.

Your sons combined with Newt's drowned out every other sound. The only thing you could hear was Chuck thanking Thomas before your brother started crying loudly, not wanting to accept the young boy was dead.

Suddenly, a door opened and light started flooding the room. You were pulled away from Newt and dragged off. Once you were outside, the light blinded you.

You could feel the hot air and sand in your lungs. They let go of you and you started running to a helicopter alongside Newt. Once inside, he pulled you close before Thomas entered as well.

"You guys all right?" a man that was sitting in the back with you asked. You looked out of the window, tears still falling down your cheeks. "Don't worry, you're safe now."

Now higher up, you could see the place you had been living in for more than a year. "Relax, kid. Everything's gonna change." the man spoke.

You buried your face in Newt's chest, closing your eyes.