08 - Alby in the maze

The next day, you were sitting on a fallen over tree with Chuck and Thomas. Alby and Minho went into the maze together this morning. Since Newt was in charge now and he wanted you around at all times, he gave you permission to teach Chuck how to carve.

"All right, but why would Alby go into the maze? I mean, he's not a- he's not a runner." Thomas asked Newt who was trying to dig up a tree root with Zart.

"Things are different now. Alby went to retrace Ben's footsteps before sundown. Look, are you gonna help?" Newt asked the brunette who was watching you teach Chuck carving.

"But Y/N isn't helping either- anyway, he's gonna go back to where Ben was just stung?" Thomas asked. "Alby knows what he's doing. All right? He knows better than any of us." Newt spoke, going back to work.

"What does that mean?" Thomas asked, a little frustrated. "All right, it's like you've heard, yeah? Every month, the box sends up a new arrival. But someone had to be first, right? Someone had to have spent a whole month in the glade alone. And that was Alby. I mean, it can't have been easy. But when those other boys started coming up, one after the other, he saw the truth. And he learned that the most important thing is that we all have each other. Because we're all in this together."

Thomas shared a glance with you and Chuck. You nodded at him, signaling him he should go help his brother-in-law. He stood up and helped Newt and Zart digging up the tree root.

"Yeah. There you go, greenie." Newt praised. Once they were done for now, Newt walked up to you and looked at your carving. "Your carved heart looks a little deformed, darling." he chuckled.

"Oh, really? Your arse was my inspiration." you joked, making Thomas, Zart and Chuck laugh at your statement while Newt started blushing furiously.

Suddenly, thunder roared in the distance. "Well, let's find some shelter." you spoke, silently apologizing to Newt with a kiss on his cheek before pulling him to one of the huts.

By now, Alby and Minho should have been back. "They should be back by now. What happens if they don't make it?" Thomas asked, looking at Newt who had his arms wrapped around your middle from behind.

"They're gonna make it." the blonde claimed with a serious look on his face. "What happens if they don't?" Thomas asked your boyfriend. "They're gonna make it."

Once the rain stopped, the gladers walked up to the doors, waiting for Alby and Minho. "Come on guys, can't we send someone after them?" Thomas asked.

"That's against the rules. Either they make it back or they don't." Gally spoke, kneeling beside Thomas. "Can't risk loosing anyone else." you explained to your brother.

Suddenly, wind started howling from inside the maze and the doors began to close. "Oh, no." Chuck mumbled. "Bloody 'ell." you spoke and if it was any other situation, Newt would have chuckled at the way you adapted to his accent.

"There!" Thomas exclaimed, seeing Minho and Alby slowly moving towards the glade. "Wait, no, something's wrong." Newt spoke. Minho was carrying Alby on his back.

The gladers started shouting at Minho, telling him to run faster or leave Alby but you knew he couldn't do either. He couldn't run faster because of Alby on his back but he also couldn't leave Alby in the maze to die.

"They're not gonna make it." Newt spoke. Suddenly, Thomas started running, entering the maze. You tried holding him back, he subconsciously pulled you along before you felt two strong arms grab your waist.

The doors closed. You could only stare at the spot your brother had stood in only a few seconds ago. "Come on." Newt spoke, sadly.
You followed him, feeling numb.

Not only did you loose Ben just yesterday, you now also lost Alby, Minho and your brother. All that within two days. You couldn't imagine how Newt must feel.

The next day, you got up before the doors opened. You wanted to be there in case the guys would come back, even though you weren't hopeful.

You sat down next to Newt when the doors opened. "Guys, get up!" Chuck called. The hallways were empty, neither Alby, nor Minho, nor Thomas were there.

"Told you, Chuck. They're not coming back." Newt spoke, rubbing your lower back gently. You turned around to walk back, when suddenly, Zart spoke up. "No way."

Chuck started cheering as he saw Minho and Thomas carrying an unconscious Alby. They were bombarded with questions. Once Thomas and Minho let go, you pulled both of them in a hug.

"You bloody shanks, I was worried sick." you scolded. Minho chuckled while Thomas burried his face in your shoulder. The thought of never getting the chance to properly get to know his sister had killed him all night. He was glad he still got the chance.

"You saw a griever?" Chuck asked once you pulled away. "Yeah, I saw one." Thomas answered as Minho scoffed in return. "He didn't just see it. He killed it."