18 - a home of sorts

A brunette woman squeezed through a crowd of people, carrying a h/c girl and a brunette boy. She placed her children onto their feet, smiling at them with tears in her eyes.

"Remember, I love you. I love you, Thomas. I love you, Y/N. And Thomas, take care of your sister." she spoke before the boy and the girl were taken away from their mother.

"Mom!" they both screamed, trying to reach their mother. They were placed in a train with numerous other kids, guards surrounding them. Y/N clung onto her brother's arm, tears rolling down her cheeks.

She looked around, spotting a little blonde boy smiling at her. Through her tears, she smiled back at him slightly. He thought she was the prettiest girl he had ever seen.

A blonde woman walked up to them, wiping Y/N's tears with her thumb. "Thomas, Y/N, it's okay." She sat back and smiled at the siblings as another set of tears flowed out of the girl's
eyes.

"Y/N, come on, we gotta go!" someone screamed. You opened your eyes, looking into Newt's worried eyes. Still slightly disoriented, he helped you up and brought you out of the helicopter.

In the distance, screeching could be heard. You were taken into a huge building. Once inside, you tried slowing your heavy breathing while looking around.

You were brought into another room with a large amount of food displayed on a table. "Oh, my god!" you laughed, basically running
up to the table to save yourself a piece.

You sat down next to Newt, sharing food with each other while the others were having fun, eating but also throwing some of the food at the others.

After everyone had eaten and sat down, a door opened and a man walked in. He had dark, graying hair and wore a white shirt with a leather jacket above.

"You kids doing all right?" He asked with a slight grin on his lips. You all stood up and walked towards him. "Sorry about the fuss. We had ourselves a bit of a swarm."

"Who are you?" Thomas asked, suspicious of the man. "I'm the reason you're all still alive. It's my intention to keep you that way. Now, come with me. We'll get you kids squared away."

You followed him through the building. Newt kept his arm around your waist, scared you might get separated. Walking in front of you was Thomas and Minho.

"You can call me Mr. Janson. I run this place. For us, it is a sanctuary, safe from the horrors of the outside world. You all should think of it as a way station. Kind of a home between homes. Watch yourselves." Janson said.

You looked up, seeing sparks flying down on you from above. People were working up there, you couldn't pinpoint what they were doing.

"That means you're taking us home?" you asked. Janson looked at you, a slight smirk on
his lips. For some reason, you didn't trust the man. Based on the way Thomas watched him the entire time, he didn't trust him either.

"A home of sorts. Sadly, there wouldn't be much left of wherever you came from. But we do have a place for you. A refuge, outside the scorch, where WCKD will never find you again. How does that sound?" Janson answered, looking between everyone while still walking.

None of you said anything, still processing the information you got. "Why are you helping us?" Minho asked, finally finding words to say.

"Let's just say the world out there is in a rather precarious situation. We're all hanging on by a very thin thread. The fact that you kids can survive the Flare virus makes you the best chance of humanity's continued survival. Unfortunately, it also makes you a target, as no doubt, by now, you've noticed."

You walked up to a door, where Janson swiped a card through a scanner. "Beyond this door lies the beginning of your new lives." the door opened, revealing a long hallway.

"First things first, let's do something about that smell."