Chapter 20: The Fall of the Greatest(M)

Third POV

As Percy and Artemis came out of the portal, all they could do was stand in shock at what they were watching. The camp was being attacked by the doppelgangers still in their humanoid form. Some were starting to change into the appearance of some of the campers while others kept their original form. 

The campers were running around trying to get their weapons and fight the unknown monsters(to them). Clarisse was able to kill some of them by stabbing the doppelgangers through the middle of their chests. The Apollo campers were trying to support them by doing cover fire, but they were just too many of them. 

"Percy, we gotta go and help them!" Artemis stated, bringing the son of Poseidon out of his shock. 

"Get to the archers, I will help the campers in the front line!" I ordered Artemis and she gave me a nod before sprinting toward the archers.

I vapor traveled to the front of the demigod lines with one bracelet turned into a spear and another into a shield. Many would think that I was a maniac for fighting with a spear since I was never good at it, but after spending 6 months training with Aether with a spear and shield combination, I could easily rival Thalia. 

"Clarisse! Move back until you are regrouped and ready! I will hold them off!" I ordered and Clarisse turn to look where my voice had come from. 

Her eyes widened the moment she saw me before she had a look of relief, "Got it! Be careful Prissy!" She shouted back before she commanded the demigods to retreat.

"Come on! It's been a while since I've gone full out," I challenged as I took my stance.

Many of the humanistic figures(doppelgangers) had weapons in their hands. Some of them had the appearance of campers but their eyes look lifeless, almost dead, making it a clue about their true identities. 

Three doppelgangers pushed me with their swords and one with a spear. I blocked a slash from one of the swords before using my spear to parry another one. I twirled my spear quickly and made the doppelganger drop his sword and before he knew it he had my spear stabbed through its chest. 

I couldn't even live my moment of victory before the spear wilder tried to do the same move on me, but luckily I'd learned from my previous encounter with one of them. Using my shield as a distraction, I threw it at the other two doppelgangers and changed my spear to a dagger while taking hold of the spear and yanking it away. The force of my move made the doppelganger's body move with the spear as I brought my dagger and stabbed the creature through its head. The dagger went through its body clean gaining a scream of pain from it. 

The next moment, I felt someone move behind me and summoned my shield back before turning around and bringing my shield up to cover me. The impact of the weapon made me stagger back a few meters before I regain my footing. Looking up I started feeling anger and wrath coursing through my veins when I recognized which creature was in front of me. 

Looking up at the raven-haired and dull, sea-green eye doppelganger, I changed my shield to a dagger and brought out riptide before uncapping it. As I slowly advance at my doppelganger, I heard movement behind me and without even looking back I move to the side and avoided a stab from a doppelganger that look exactly like Katie Gardener. I look into her earth-green eyes and noticed that they were lifeless and knew that she was a doppelganger. After a moment of hesitation, I blocked her knife with my dagger before stabbing riptide through its chest. The creature let out an ear-splitting scream before the body fell to the ground and turned into shadows and disappeared.

"You really think you have the guts to go up against us?" My doppelganger said, bringing me back from my little breakdown at seeing one of my friends killed by my hand. I knew the one I killed wasn't my friend, but it still felt like I actually killed her for a moment. Just seeing that the body turned into a shadow and disappeared helped me gain my bearings.