Chapter 27

Rahim sat down on the wooden box. He let out a sigh as he looked out at the horizon.

"Are you sure about this?" Rahim asked quietly.

"I don't know." Wadi chewed her lip. "But I do know we need to find them."

"What if we can't?"

"Rahim, please, listen to me," Wadi said quietly. "Is it so bad to think that they could have got on a ship and left?"

The durast shook his head. "There can't possibly-"

"DESTINATION: FJERDA!" The Captain of the ship called. Rahim turned to look at him, then looked back at Wadi. His wife looked quite annoyed with him now.

"There's no guarantee, but..." Rahim pursed his lips. "It might be our only way."

"I know." Wadi glanced away. Rahim squeezed her hand.

"We'll find them."

Wadi nodded. Rahim took a deep breath. The ship lurched forward. Rahim and Wadi's hands clung to each other.

"What will happen to Czarina?" Wadi asked.

"The amplifier? I...I don't know." Before they'd left, Czarina had mysteriously disappeared. Rahim refused to consider the worst possibility.

"She's Suli, I think." The inferni closed her eyes. "To hand over your people...that takes a special kind of betrayal."

Rahim nodded, but he wasn't sure about that. "I think...maybe she had no choice. Maybe she was like us."

Wadi sighed. "Maybe."

Wind filled the ship's sails. Some people cheered, but Wadi and Rahim kept silent. All they could do now was prepare for the search that lay ahead.

END