Chapter 22

Czarina talked to Kirigan. Kirigan was nodding, but he wasn't focusing on the amplifier. His eyes were on the sun summoner, who was walking down the hallway with Nadia and Marie.

Dahlia passed by the trio in silence, wheeling her trolley along with her. She'd told the chef she was going to the market to buy some things. But this time, she wouldn't be coming back.

The servant turned a corner. Saida was walking to the courtyard. Dahlia joined her.

When she got to the courtyard, Dahlia headed to the gates. Saida turned left.

"Good morning," Dahlia said tiredly.

"Good morning, Dahlia."

The servant blinked when she saw Genya standing there.

"Aren't you meant to be-"

"With the sun summoner? Yeah, yeah. I have to go back to the palace soon." Genya pushed herself off of the gate. "So. Where you going?"

"To the market."

"In the afternoon?" Genya raised an eyebrow.

"Didn't have time to go in the morning." Dahlia shrugged. "You can ask the chef. I asked her if I could go since I needed to get some stuff for the servants."

"Oh, okay." Genya shrugged. "Off you go, then."

Dahlia gave Genya a look. The redhead smiled. Dahlia suddenly realised she knew what she and Saida were up to.

How did-

"You better find him. Alina'll be disappointed otherwise."

Genya hummed as she walked off. Dahlia quickly glanced around to see if anyone had seen them talk. She didn't want Genya taking the blame.

When she knew no one had seen them, Dahlia stepped through the gates and met Saida at the edge of the forest, on the path leading away from the Little Palace. Saida was looking back at it.

"You good?" Dahlia asked.

Saida nodded. "Yeah, yeah." Her sister tore her gaze away from the place which had carved her into a soldier, and began walking quickly down the path, matching Dahlia's pace. Dahlia glanced at her, but she kept her gaze ahead.

_

It was early evening when Dahlia found a place to camp for the night.

"Are there any bears here?" Saida asked, looking into the cave.

Dahlia grabbed the back of her blouse and yanked her back. "What are you doing?" she demanded.

"Let go-" Saida started, pulling away from Dahlia. "I'm looking for a bear!"

Dahlia squinted at her. "Why would there be a bear? I searched this place!" she whispered.

"I'm just checking!" Saida exclaimed in a whisper, holding up her hands.

Dahlia sighed. "Alright. Come on, in."

Saida walked into the cave.

"Oh and by the way, never stick your head into a cave again. That was unbelievably reckless." Dahlia sat down and took out rations from her trolley. "Eat. We'll sleep until dawn, then start our search."

Saida nodded. Dahlia and her ate in comfortable silence. Saida looked at the surroundings outside.

"Thank you," Saida said quietly. "For the food."

Dahlia gave Saida a small smile. "You're welcome."