Chapter 11

After quickly finishing her dinner, Saida stood in Kirigan's office. She was surprised that Dahlia still remembered how she liked her food. I guess that's Dahlia for you, Saida thought with a sigh.

"I know you've told me about your mission in Kerch," Kirigan started. "But I feel like you're leaving some things out."

The door to Kirigan's office slammed shut. Saida jumped, startled. She watched, eyebrows furrowed, as Kirigan slowly summoned his power.

"Tell me everything."

Saida started from the beginning. She'd gone to Kerch in order to get information on the kind of jobs available for grisha in Ketterdam. There, she signed up to be a performer of the Komedie Brute. In her time in Ketterdam, Saida learnt that grisha, upon fleeing Ravka, often were manipulated into signing indentures that restricted their freedoms.

"Who did you meet?" Kirigan pushed.

"Other performers of the Komedie Brute, as well as regulars at the performances. Many of them were otkazat'sya."

Kirigan closed his eyes. "Are you sure?"

"Yes," Saida replied.

Kirigan opened his eyes. "I still think you're keeping information from me, Saida." Shadows began to crawl across the floor towards her. Saida's eyes widened, and she stepped back. Kirigan spoke through gritted teeth.

"Tell. Me. Everything."

-3 MONTHS AGO-

"Jesper, come with me," Kaz said. Jesper looked up from his deck of cards.

"Why?" Jesper asked. "Tonight's work is done."

"We're going to see the Komedie Brute." Kaz threw a 10 kruge note at the sharpshooter, who caught it. "Consider it my treat. They're performing tonight."

Jesper's eyes lit up. He followed Kaz out of the Crow Club.

A few moments later, Inej crept out of the shadows and fell into step beside him. Jesper jumped.

"Oh, Saints, will you stop doing that!"

"Stop doing what," Inej replied.

Jesper gestured to her. "Appearing out of nowhere?"

Inej smiled. "No."

Kaz smiled small on hearing Inej and Jesper bicker, and turned left, stepping onto a sort of crowded street.

The performers were setting up. Kaz, Inej and Jesper stood near the back.

"We won't be able to see much from here," Jesper complained. "Kaz, tell me this isn't another job."

"It isn't," Kaz replied.

Jesper and Inej watched the Komedie Brute performers walk onto the stage. Jesper's eyes lit up.

"The Lost Bride is Zemeni! So pretty," Jesper sighed dreamily. Inej smiled.

"Maybe you could talk to them."

"Maybe. But, we'll only see them for one night, anyway."

"Not so," Kaz spoke. "The Komedie Bride manager knows the Crow Club. The Lost Bride performer knows us."

Inej turned her head. "Really?"

"Yes," Kaz replied. "Nasira, the daughter of Najah. Our Fabrikator," he added.