Chapter 25

Wadi stared up at the ceiling. It had been two months since Dahlia and Saida had left the Little Palace. They hadn't told Wadi and Rahim why they'd left, and they hadn't sent any letters the entire time.

Sometimes, Wadi would think, what are you still doing here? Take Rahim and find them! But she knew that was near impossible. Now that the sun summoner was walking among these halls, the security had been ramped up significantly. There was no way Wadi and Rahim could escape alive.

The inferni looked at the door. She hated that she and Rahim had to sleep in separate rooms. On the first night, she'd cried herself to sleep, then had chided herself for being so weak the next morning. Now, she wondered if she had been wrong to cry back then.

The clock ticked by. Outside, the wind blew. Wadi felt suffocated. So, she got changed, slipped on some shoes, and went down to the gardens.

It was peaceful at night. Wadi walked along, enjoying the quiet. She thought of her house, and the apple orchard she'd left behind. Were people looking after it? Had another family come to claim the space? Probably not - no one wanted to be in a house where the reminders of someone else's life lingered.

Wadi stood beside the dahlias. She stared down at the blooming pink petals and let out a shaky breath, then closed her eyes and recited Surah Naas and Surah Falaq under her breath. They helped her ground herself. Please be alive, Wadi silently begged her absent daughters. Please.

"Mrs Rahman," a voice said.

Wadi looked up. Her eyes widened. An Oprichniki?

"The General would like to see you."

Wadi frowned slightly, then made herself take on a calm facial expression. She nodded, and made her way back into the Little Palace.

The inferni walked through the corridors. Her concern grew as she followed the guard into a dark room.

"Wadi," Kirigan greeted warmly. But Wadi didn't respond when she looked past him and saw her beloved handcuffed to the chair he was sitting in.

"Rahim!" Wadi cried, rushing towards him. She kneeled down beside her husband. His breath came out ragged, and he had a gash across his left cheek. Wadi looked at Kirigan. "What did you do to him?" she demanded.

The shadow summoner revealed his power. It writhed in his palm.

"I'm a very patient man, Wadi. But even I have my limit. Where are they?"

Wadi shook her head. "They left," she answered. She stood up. "That's all I know."

Kirigan paused. Then, suddenly, he started to laugh.

"Dahlia didn't tell you? Anything?"

"I-"

"Oh, that is cruel, isn't it? Your eldest abandoned you and your youngest doesn't trust you." Kirigan's smile became knife-sharp. "A shame for any parent."

The words stabbed Wadi's heart. She couldn't think up a response. Kirigan was right: Dahlia hadn't told her anything. She'd just left.

Rahim spoke up, a rasp in his voice. "I told you, we don't know anything." Wadi froze when he added, "you might want to let us go. After all, you wouldn't want Alina finding this out, now would you?"

Kirigan gestured to Ivan, who was standing beside Rahim. "He's lying, sir."

"What?" Rahim exclaimed, clear panic in his voice. "I'm not lying!"

"Let him go," Wadi demanded.

Kirigan shrugged, a sneer on his lips. "No."

One moment, Wadi was opening her palm. The next, Kirigan had a burn running across his face. He screamed. Wadi stepped forward to harm him again, but Ivan clenched his fist, and Wadi fell to her knees. She tried to get up, but Ivan's power kept her on the ground. Before Ivan could knock her out, however, Rahim inched to the side. He was still bound to the chair, but managed to give Ivan's legs a swift kick. He sent him tumbling. Then, Rahim kicked Ivan's head, and he stopped moving.

Wadi stood up, grabbed the tiny blade she'd put in her kefta and slashed through the binds, setting Rahim free. The durast took her hand.

"Let's go," Rahim said urgently, and the two rushed down the tunnels away from Kirigan, stumbling through the darkness.