Chapter 10

Dahlia sighed in relief as she finished plating up dinner. It was a Suli staple.

"Saida likes hers spicy, so I made it the first plate on the cart."

"Thanks, Dahlia," the head cook smiled. "You've been a real help."

Dahlia smiled back. "No worries," she replied. "Hopefully everyone likes what we've done..."

"I'm sure they will," the head cook replied.

"Waiters!"

The waiters came in.

"Please serve this to Ivan and General Kirigan first, then serve the rest of the grisha."

"As always, sire," one of the waiters replied, before taking two plates and leaving.

Dahlia peered round the back door that led to the dining hall. The waiter made their way to General Kirigan. Dahlia let out a sigh of relief and made her way out of the hall with her own plate, whilst the rest of the grisha were filing in.

Dahlia heard people 'ahh'ing and 'ooo'ing over the dinner she'd helped cook. She smiled to herself and was about to continue towards the library when she saw a familiar face, and her smile dropped.

Saida stood some way away, staring at her. She seemed frozen on the spot. Beside Dahlia, grisha continued filing into the hall, beginning to whisper to each other as they watched the sisters stare at each other in tense silence.

After a few moments, Saida finally spoke up. "Hi, Dahlia."

"...Hi," Dahlia eventually responded. She touched her collarbone again. Dahlia noticed that Saida saw this, but didn't say anything.

"...How are you?"

"I've been better," Dahlia replied, glancing away from her. Saida pursed her lips.

Why didn't you send letters? Why did you take my necklace? Why did you make me collapse back then? Why?

Dahlia closed her eyes and sighed. Then, she opened her eyes again. "I need to go."

"Dahlia-" Saida started, but Dahlia pushed past her and made her way to the double doors near the end of the corridor. 

To her surprise, Czarina was sitting there.

"Dahlia," Czarina said, waving her over. "Sit with me."

Dahlia smiled and did so. "Thanks Czarina," she said. The woman's dark hair bounced as she nodded her head.

"Only natural to invite you, especially since you made dinner. I was just thinking about stories."

"Bismillah," Dahlia muttered. On hearing Czarina speak, he eyes lit up. "You like stories?" she asked after eating a few mouthfuls.

"Yes. My mother used to tell me so many, when I was little. What's your favourite?"

"That's a hard question...I'm not sure. I like The Shadow Girl. Is it available?"

"Oh, you like that one?" Czarina asked. "It's quite dark. A heartrender took out that book yesterday. Don't know why though. Said she didn't like reading, so." Czarina shrugged. "Well, hopefully you can read it after it's been returned," she added cheerfully, looking at Dahlia. Dahlia met her gaze. Then, she realised. Czarina must have heard Saida and I talking. I wonder what else she knows...