Chapter 19

Rahim was putting things in a bag. Wadi walked out of the bathroom in her kefta, a towel over her shoulders. She snatched the bag from her husband.

"What are you doing?" she whispered sharply.

"We need to get out of here," Rahim replied quietly, snatching the bag back from her. Wadi pursed her lips.

"What, and leave Dahlia and Saida?"

"No. They're coming with us."

Rahim was about to stuff some raisins into the bag when Wadi grabbed it from him.

"Hey-"

"You think they'll just let us out like that?" Wadi hissed. "You know full well something is up with Saida and the Black General. If he finds us trying to escape, he'll kill us where we stand, and make our daughters watch. Do you want that?"

Rahim took a deep breath. "Wadi," he started, then looked at her.

Wadi's hair fell down to her shoulders. Her brown skin glowed. Rahim dropped the bag and stepped forward. Wadi flushed in embarrassment.

"What? What are you looking at?"

Rahim chuckled quietly. "Nothing." He kissed her, and Wadi kissed back. Then, Rahim broke the kiss and started unpacking the bag. He put all the contents in one drawer, and the bag in another.

"So they won't get suspicious," he explained.

Wadi breathed a sigh of relief. Rahim smiled. "I'll see you downstairs at lunch, okay?" The durast kissed his wife's cheek, then left the room.