Chapter 17

Zhongli's POV
.... These veins that are gathering around me and Bennett...Why aren't they targeting me?

It's almost been an hour ever since we kept walking in this maze and crawling vines, roots and plants are trying to pull Bennett underground to digest him but I kept saving him.

"Why are they targeting me?"

Bennett asked breathing heavily because of all his attempt of escaping every root that is after him, I don't know but now I'm starting to think that they are targeting him because of his bad luck.

"We should take a rest for now."

"But!-"

Bennett was about to disagree when I interrupted him.

"I know that you are worried for Y/N but you should also take a rest and be calm! This roots are after you ever seconds! I'll try to cast a protective shield around us so they won't come near us while we rest."

Bennett can only keep his mouth shut and look on the ground not being able to do anything, I walk away from him to cast a yellow shield to protect us, This shield is temporary it can protect us to anything that can bring harm to us.

I saw Bennett sat down on the ground not even looking in my way.

"Bennett, Don't you think it's quite odd? How these veins are after you and not me?"

I asked him a question to lighten the atmosphere between us, He looked at up to me and answered me honestly.

"It's probably after weak people because they are more easy to kill. Your highness, You are a very powerful individual, Of course it won't come after you."

.... That's a logical answer...

But what happened earlier kept bugging me all this time...

How come I didn't notice the purple smoke around us? And from the looks of it, It must have been created from Dark Magic which I am very sensitive to it and I'll immediately know about it, Dark magic presence also makes me weak which is why I would always avoid it...but how come I am not affected to it yet? This purple smoke that makes everyone fall asleep and die in their sleep just like what happened to those Fatui earlier.....

Just what is this smoke? It doesn't even have a smell.

Just what is this? And who created it?

....Purple smoke

This smoke is also quite similar to the dragon that I killed in that party, That dragon also has a purple smoke surrounded it....Does this mean, The machine that we saw earlier is the source of this smoke? Hmm...I don't think so, I mean why would the Fatui agents release this smoke if they are still in here? Unless they didn't know they were test subjects.

All I need to do is to follow the darker purple smoke, Maybe it will lead me to that machine.

As I stepped out from the shield I cast, Bennett immediately stood up and tried to follow me.

"Stand down Bennett, Stay in the shield and don't think of coming out."

"Your highness! It's too dangerous to make a move yet, We still don't know what danger lies in that path, You could lose your life."