Epilogue

A year into mating

"Read it again." Mason demanded.

Angelina sighed, flipping the book, and slamming it shut. Mason flinched and glared up at her from his perch. His head was perfectly cushioned on top of her thighs, while the rest of his long body was sprawled on the bed.

"You can leave. I'm tired of you bossing me around. I need some time alone. Without you." Angelina poked his big forehead with each full stop.

Mason narrowed his gaze. "You've been short tempered lately."

"I haven't!" Angelina protested.

Mason's eyes circled. "There. You're yelling at me." The man said matter-of-factly, appearing way too smug for her liking.

Angelina opened her mouth to scream, but she zipped it close when Mason narrowed his gaze. The man finally lifted his head from her lap but remained in close proximity, studying her intently. Angelina had gotten used to the man staring at her. He did it all the time. Sometimes, he'd do it and not even realise it until she said something about it. It never bothered her since it made both her and her wolf feel desired. Yet now, her mate's stare was a little unnerving. She couldn't quite put a finger on it.

Angelina frowned when he tilted his head ever so slightly.

"What are you doing?" She asked quietly.

Mason closed his eyes, leaned in close, and took a deep breath.

Angelina remained still. She didn't know what he was doing or why she felt the need to suddenly transform into a statue. She watched Mason's expression closely. The skin between his brows wrinkled as he remained silent. She counted to ten, and yet, Mason still hadn't moved. Uncertain, she placed a hand on his cheek. Stubble slid across her palm. Mason's eyelids twitched, then snapped open.

His hazel eyes had gone misty.

Worried, Angelina stroked his cheek with her thumb. "What is it? Why are you looking at me like that?"

Mason swallowed hard.

"Tell me." She prompted.

Mason gently pried her hands away from his face and held them in his big ones. She could feel the tremble of his fingers. She held on tight to his hand, trying to soothe away the quivers.

"Tell me." She whispered, fearing what he had to say. Different scenarios played in her mind. She just hadn't expected Mason's next words.

Holding her gaze intently, Mason told her softly with a slight rasp to his tone. "You're pregnant baby."

For a few seconds, Angelina didn't speak.

At one point, Mason had pulled her into his lap, where he cradled her against his firm chest where his strong heartbeat sang. She felt lightheaded and strange.

"Baby?" Mason brushed his lips against her forehead.

Angelina licked her lips and sought out those multicoloured eyes she dreamed about every night. They were warm and filled with nothing but absolute devotion and love. "I'm pregnant?"

Mason nodded slowly. "I can scent it. It's subtle but there."

Angelina gulped, staring down at her flat stomach. Her fingers twitched, but she made no move to touch her belly. She was completely and irrevocably shocked by the revelation. She hadn't imagined the possibility that she had been growing anything inside her.

"Are you hyperventilating?" Mason's voice drew her out of her growing panic.

"I-I don't know."

"Breathe. Look at me." Mason gripped her chin gently, moving it until she had a clear view of the star shaped specks of green and orange in his orbs.