36. Where The Taken Go

Angelina waited with Drake on the field.

Dani was running late.

"She isn't usually late." Drake glanced at his watch. "She's always early. Earlier than me, which isn't surprising."

Angelina knew there was something eerily wrong about that.

The children who had gathered for their afternoon sparring session looked around, uncertain.

May suddenly appeared. The touch of her fingers shocked Angelina. It was warm, and soft. There was a whiteness in May's expression that alerted her that something was terribly wrong. Angelina didn't have a chance to utter a word because May parted her lips, as her little chin quivered, "The man took her Angie. I followed them but they took her away from the Pack. I couldn't leave Casper here."

Dread curdled in her stomach.

"Find her Angie, they're going to take her far away if we don't hurry." May tugged on her hand insistently, pulling her along the field with hasty, clipped steps.

"Hey, where are you going?" Drake called out to her.

Angelina didn't answer.

May began to sprint. Angelina trailed after her, shocked that the little girl could run so fast, but then again, the girl's strides were long and hurried, it almost looked as if her toes barely skimmed the blades of grass.

What could've been seconds felt like hours when May deposited her at the foot of the Pack House, where Mason was standing with Casper. Angelina slowed her steps. May immediately ran to Casper, holding onto his thigh. The sight squeezed her heart, especially when she heard May's whispers of apology against his denim trousers. A quick scan of Casper's face told her enough. The man didn't know what had happened to Dani.

Mason took once glance of her and knew something was awry.

"What is it?" He asked.

"Someone has taken Dani. I believe it's that man Mischa. They're taking her far away from here now as we speak."

"Where are they going?" Mason asked.

"Who told you this?" Casper demanded, his expression cold as ice.

"May."

Casper's face crumpled, "Where are they taking her?"

Angelina shook her head and looked to May who was shivering not from the wind but from pure fear.

The little girl quaked, and shook her head, burying her face into Casper's thighs. "I can't leave Casper."

"What about Dani?" Angelina gently asked the little girl.

"I need to stay with Casper."

"May." Angelina pleaded. "Dani needs our help."

"May? I-is she here?" Casper's voice was gravelly with an undertone of uncertainty. It was a weird combination coming from Casper. He was seeking her gaze, silently pleading for answers.

May hid her face behind one ponytail and disappeared without a word.

Angelina's heart sank. "She isn't here anymore."

Angelina regretted trying to force May. May was scared. She wanted to apologise. She'd pushed her too far.

Riley came running from the crest of trees, almost colliding into Mason. Mason took her arm, halting her momentum.

"They're gone." Riley heaved, "The prisoners, they're gone. I went to see them this morning. They weren't there. The locks weren't damaged. It looks like they were let out by someone who had the key to it."