14. Find Me

Evie

Evie didn't know where they had placed her. It was too dark to scope out anything. She was tired.

And scared.

She had lost track of time a long time ago.

She feared for Jack. He wasn't supposed to be captured, but the stubborn yet incredible guy fought to protect her. Her heart ached. She hoped he was fine. She didn't know what she'd do if he wasn't. Jack was her shooting star, the person who would grant her anything she wanted. She begged endlessly for his safety but the men and women who took her had knocked her out cold. By the time she gained consciousness, Jack hadn't been by her side.

"Still not eating?" A gruff voice interrupted her thoughts.

She ignored the voice as a tray slid across the gravel, stopping short of her toes.

"Eat this. It's the only thing you'll get for the next two days."

Evie could see two buns of bread. She picked one up, squeezing. It was hard as a rock. Barely edible. She knew it was laced with something because each time she took a sip of water or a bite of food, she would wake up thinking hours had passed when truthfully, it had been days. It was the risk of eating and drinking. The only reason she knew days passed was because of the one guard who had softened towards her and let the confession slip. She needed the sustenance but she was wary of surrendering to the dark, time and time again.

"It doesn't bother me. Either way, you're all going to meet the same fate." The man said before she heard his steps echo faintly away.

She wasn't the only one who had been captured. She heard other cries and pleas in the place she was kept. She had pleaded and bawled too but she was now numb. Her voice was a rough whisper each time she spoke. It was even painful to swallow.

She peered at the bread in her palm. She couldn't starve to death. She had already thrown away the last two meals they presented her. She didn't know how long ago that was. She knew it was probably almost a week since she last ate something. She couldn't be stupid to not eat this portion. Her belly was cramping up and her words felt as if they would turn to ash.

She broke off a piece of the bread, watching as tiny crumbs rained down on her lap. She thought of her sisters. Of Rosie. Of Angie.

She believed they would come for her but time was running out.

She placed the hard morsel into her mouth, swallowing. It was dry and cold.

She broke more pieces off, dropping it on her tongue.

Her sisters would come for her.

She just had to be patient and keep fighting.

She was a Montgomery.

After all, Arabella said that Montgomerys birthed monsters.