43. Birthday Boy

It was late in the afternoon when Angelina remembered that it was still Mason's birthday. The man didn't so much as give away a hint that it was his birthday. He was simply content in her company since all he did was place his head on her lap and listen to her read while she languidly played with his hair. She knew he enjoyed her touch because she could feel his wolf purr. She found it amusing that she had so much power over this man and for some odd reason, the man didn't seem to mind. 

It was in that moment that Mason's bedroom door slammed opened, revealing half the Council members in the hallway. Mason stiffened as a low growl rumbled in his throat. 

"We need Mason." Casper was the first to speak. He didn't even say anything else as he grabbed Mason from her and unceremoniously yanked him out the door. Mason protested but then Drake and Evan grabbed his arms while Killian followed behind with a laugh. 

After Mason was taken away, it was only seconds when Dani, Riley and Evie appeared. They soon carted her out of her bedroom since she was now 'free' to roam around.

Dani informed her that Mason had been flanked by Drake, Evan and Killian to attend an important matter, which she later found out was not an important matter but rather a distraction conjured by Casper since it was Mason's birthday and they needed time to set up for the celebration. 

The Pack were using the backyard of the Pack House to facilitate Mason's surprise birthday party; hence, they needed Mason out of the way. 

Riley and Dani were running around like headless chicken as random Pack members came in and out of the Pack House.

Angelina had been genuinely surprised that a few Pack members had greeted her with small smiles. She could see that they were still uncertain about her but perhaps her retrieval of Dani had softened their hearts. 

"Oh fuck, we're screwed." Riley cursed. 

"What is it?" Angelina asked the woman who was busy raking her fingers through her hair. 

"The cake, it's burnt." 

"Oh."

Riley pinched the bridge of her nose, clearly frustrated. It was probably the most out of sorts Riley appeared to be, ever. Riley was the type of woman who always appeared to be carefully but intentionally put together. However, her fiery hair had loose locks hanging from its messy updo.

Angelina cleared her throat, "I can make him something for his birthday."

Riley blinked out of her silent thoughts, catching Angelina's gaze. "That's right, you used to work with sweets. Why didn't I think of this earlier?" She mumbled to herself. 

Angelina shrugged.

"Ok, you'll do that if that's alright with you?"

Angelina smiled. "I can do it."

Riley sighed in relief, noticeably relaxing. "You're a life saver. The kitchen should have everything. Let me know if you need anything. I have to see how the decorations are going outside."

Angelina made her way to the kitchen, finding a few Pack mates lingering around the counters, sorting out fruit platters. All movement seemed to still as soon as she invaded their bubble of focus.

One of the women was Nancy, the mother of Brett. Brett had been the young boy she had helped from being 'stuck' with May. Angelina smiled but the woman immediately weaved her way through the other stunned women, until she was standing in front of Angelina.

Angelina opened her mouth to speak but the woman swept her up in an embrace that jarred her jaw shut. "You saved my boy." The woman held her a little longer. She carried a scent a lot like rosemary and something sweet. She felt a lot like comfort.